[bsg] (no subject)

  • From: <hawkeyehub1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird alert <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:55:08 +0000

Sent from Windows Mail

BSG Members,

Not exactly on subject, but good to know pertaining to least terns.  I ask the
question; Where do least terns go shortly after leaving the nesting sand bar
grounds?   The easy answer is; Where the fishing for small fish/minnows is
best!  I discovered this yesterday in SE Arkansas (Ashley and Chicot) counties.
 Who Knew?  This area is big in farm raised catfish production.  These lake
areas are clear water, aerated, and full of small fish.  The adults are still
feeding young!  Surprise!!  I suppose the nearest nesting colonies are on the
Mississippi River.  I had +250 least terns on 2 catfish farms near Lake
Village, Chicot, Portland, and Montrose, yesterday.  It takes nearly 4 hours to
get there from Shreveport, so birding time is short, and an early departure
from our area is advised.  Also, timely peeps, BB Plover, Golden Plover,
Stilts, other tern sp.  Big wide levees make driving around the ponds very easy
and everyone I met was agreeable to birders being present.  The % of young to
adult was just over 100%, or 1 chick per 1 adult, which is exceptional by Red
River standards.  Who Knew?

 Pronounce Bayou Boeuf??  I never had it right.  The locals all called it Bayou
BAFF.  Now you know how to speak local Arkansan.

Hubert