(no subject)

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 08:43:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi all, I'll admit that I never
took a second look at the Myiarchus photos we got on 11-21 after taking
them, especially after observing the Ash-throated's size in comparison
to other smaller birds nearby while we were watching it- also by it's
behavior/ head bobbing in response to ATFL playback and diagnostic very
short "prrt" or "bic" calls. However, these crappy photos are also
leaning more by structure and color toward Dusky-capped. The bill appears
entirely dark, longish and noticeably thin, which was also seen well
afield yesterday. Moreover, we did not see or suspect a second bird that first
day. However, we all saw two birds yesterday, with one noticeably larger than
the other- at close range on one occasion, more distantly on another. On the
first occasion, the smaller Dusky-capped flew into the
baldcypress that was mere feet directly in front of us. It came in from
the East, into the south side of the baldcypress. It's arrival displaced the
notably larger Ash-throated, which had arrived and was responding to
playback and was sitting on the n side of the tree, quickly toward the
North, then back East toward the woods. On the second occasion, TWO
notably smallish Myiarchus were seen more distantly in a shorter shrubby bush
covered with vines and dead branches protruding to our North- at
approximately 100 feet. One bird was sitting and bobbing which then flew out,
back around and toward the woods, with another arriving
simultaneously and perching near the same spot. There was also at least
one occasion where a more distant descending "wheer" call was heard
given closely behind another at close range. I also heard a more distant short,
ascending GCFL-like "wreep" on one occasion, also a very quiet
fussy, descending trill. I'm guessing it's remotely possible that both
birds are indeed Dusky-capped. However, after observing the purported
Ash-throated's size on both days, then hearing the "prrt" calls and
watching the bobbing of head/ aggressive manner in which it responded
the first day, I think this is unlikely. Then again, the Dusky-capped
was observed displacing the Ash-throated and also aggressively
head-bobbing, so it's a remote possibility. We will see...............

(:

Terry