[bsg] maybe Rough-legged Hawk on Hwy. 1

  • From: Paul Dickson <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BSG Birdalert (bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 12:46:40 +0000

BSG: I saw what might be a Rough-leg on Hwy. 1 yesterday at 4:30PM. I say maybe
because I was coming home from work and whizzing along Hwy 1 between FL road
and Leonard Rd. and it was swooping off and over the levee. It was one of those
flash sightings and I was not in full observation mode. What I did see in that
half second fits a light phase Rough-legged Hawk. What caught my attention was
not so much he plumage, though that seemed correct for the species, but the
long tail and long wings. The later made me look because it was unlike the gis
of a Redtail. There was  a dark tail band and mottled back with lots of white.
I did not catch the wing pattern. It flew from the ground on the road ahead of
me, stayed low and went over the levee and out of sight. The location was
between Lucas and the terminus of Leonard Road, specifically about half way
between the major bend in the levee and Hwy.1 and Leonard Rd. This is where the
vultures hang out due to a commercial fish camp on the river bank (on private
land out of sight over the levee). The more I think about it, I don't see how
it could be a light immature Redtail with the apparent tail band. This is well
within the RR count circle, near the center. I will look for it this morning
and certainly post if I see it or an immature Redtail mimic.
Paul