[bsg] WHIMBREL/ Elm Grove/ Bossier par- 05/22/13- Another N La. 1st.

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:11:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all, Charlie Lyon and I got a late start birding Stoner this morning- from
0930 to 1:30 p.m. Some highlights/ migrants there were-

Anhinga- 1 f soaring. Am White Pelican still hanging tough on Bossier side.
Least Tern- 1 flyby S/w- FOS
Y-b Cuckoo- 4
E. W-Pewee- 2
Gr Crested Fly- 7- prob all locals at this late date- although a bit strange
with no other recent counts being near this high- including 2 prs and 3
singles. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure these late higher counts have happened
at Stoner in previous years.

Red-eyed Vireo- 4
Swainson's Thrush- 1
Cedar Waxwing- 22- three sep grps.
Yellow Warbler- 2f
Magnolia "- 2 (m,f)
Black-throated Green "- 2 (m,f)
Blackburnian "- 1 brightly-plumaged f
American Redstart- 1f
N Waterthrush- 2
Wilson's Warbler- 2
Summer Tanager- 1 poss local.
Baltimore Oriole- 9 (local)
American Goldfinch- 4. Possibly same birds as last survey in black willow and e
cottonwood in N-w opening.

We arrived at Whitehouse (private property) in Elm Grove at 2 and birded to
3:50. We only completed the area near house, then levee to the S-e corner of
the big pond- only slightly over a mile altogether before having to leave.
There was a good mix of shorebirds- 14 spp, including a few really good ones!!

American White Pelican- 1- capable of flight- on pond.
Anhinga- 4, 3f, 1m
Tricolored Heron- 1- not really mentionable here but has been scarce/
non-existent at Yates, other places this Spring.
American Coot- 33 High nos! also 2 COGA.
Semipalmated Plover- 4- one small area. Kill also
B-n Stilt- 9, including 7 adults and 2 downy young.
Spotted Sandpiper- 6.  1 on log with Willet on river. 5 at single loc on the
big pond foraging with Semi Plover, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least and
White-rumped.
WILLET-  1 western/ inornata
Lesser Yellowlegs- 3
WHIMBREL !!- 1st N-w La. record!! - certainly the first well-seen record of
this species, other than an all-but-100%-certain and briefly calling nocturnal
flyover some years ago at Stoner. Charlie obtained some identifiable photos of
today's Whimbrel in flight!!
Semipalmated Sandpiper- 3
Least " 3
White-rumped "- 140.
Pectoral "- 3
Stilt "- 6
L-b Dowitcher- 1
Wilson's Phalarope- 6- 1f, 5m
Yellow warbler- 1 aestiva -singing from pecans. Getting a little late for
singing males of these.

Cheers- and good birding!

Terry