[bsg] Tropical Kingbird still there 3PM Monday

  • From: Hubert Hervey <hawkeyehub1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird alert <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 14:23:48 -0800 (PST)

BSG Members,
Thanks to Shirley and her ladies, and Terry and his persistent posting, I
decided I had to go try to locate the Tropical Kingbird in Mooringsport before
the next major weather change, probably tomorrow.  Arrived with wife Pat at
10:55 AM, worked the area thoroughly for 1 hr 45 minutes without much success,
with lots of wind and a Bald Eagle and a few other birds on Caddo Lake.  Went
on
north to eat, north of Oil City.  Terry forgot to mention that sometimes is
needed for birding success. We went back to Mooringsport at 2:50 to same
location at Crooms and Miller and Ferry, northeast of Mooringsport, and when
Pat
yelled "STOP" I knew she had the bird. It was on a wire on Ferry St, with a
Loggerhead Shrike watching it.  This was at 2:55 PM and we watched it for about
5 minutes, catching insects, eating on the wire, and on a couple of water oaks
to the east.  Thanks for the good directions, as the drizzle had broken, a
double rainbow shined brightly, with two bald eagles perched in the bare tree
at
the end of E Cooms, and then the Tropical Kingbird at the same time.  How can
it
get any better?
Hubert and Pat