[bsg] Stoner Launch Woods/ Caddo 04/ 06-13

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 21:31:41 -0700 (PDT)

Labirders, Charlie Lyon and I spent this cool spring morning birding Stoner
Launch Woods along Red River. A singing Chuck just after six a.m., then
continuing for several minutes afterward, was welcome- until I dropped my new
recorder in the river shortly after recording it! I think it's going to be
okay, though.....whew! The probable resident Belted Kingfisher pr became noisy
at dawn, along with 2-3 resident Northern Rough-winged Swallow. Both spp were
perched nearby, vocalizing loudly and moving in a fairly tight area centered on
the small vertical mud-bank on the S end of the parking lot. It appears that
some kids are evidently back to their usual tricks of jabbing sticks into
possible unfinished nest holes. Although this small bank definitely would not
be prime real estate for either spp to raise young, we should probably still
put up a sign there- something along the lines of "Cut the crap!! How would you
like it if someone jabbed a stick in your
 face!?

Another good find was an incessantly-singing Red-eyed Vireo in East woods, just
South of the parking lot along the river. This REVI would be quite early here,
this being a Red River migrant trap, but not terribly early in terms of
individuals arriving on known breeding localities not far from here to the
North, such as Old Mooringsport Rd. Two separate calling Indigo Bunting
overhead early to the W/S-w, then two adult males in a newly -budding E
cottonwood on the river trail later were the first we've actually seen this
year. Eastern Kingbird showed a small movement with 1 and 2 individuals, mostly
Southeast, then a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and myriads of Cliff and a few Barn
Swallow at the bridge area. Two Separate grps of adult Little Blue Heron high N
and an early-morning Snowy to N/N-w were almost certainly new arrivals, whereas
two West/ Southwest commuting Yellow-crowned Night-Heron were probably recently
arrived locals. Aside from a single group
 high N of 3 Greg Egret, the rest were low and lazy commuters along their usual
N/N-w and S/S-e routes. Three decent-sized groups of wintering Ring-billed Gull
moved through early, headed toward lock 5 and points beyond. Back on arrivals-
a single Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and Hooded Warbler calling early, then 2
White-eyed Vireo and a single male Common Yellowthroat, were the only other
newbs. Admittedly the action in the woods overall was quite the opposite of
what we'd hoped.....

One lingering winter resident that was moving through in much better than usual
numbers was Ruby-crowned Kinglet, with 32 individuals- and that is very
conservative. There was not a single place in the 2.9 mile route that we
couldn't hear at least one, if not two three separate individuals singing.
Furthermore, I seemed about a month off regarding my seemingly high RCKI notes
in a post over a week ago..........and this would definitely be correct
concerning this particular spring! /-: Hermit Thrush were in fairly good
early-spring numbers with 2-3 at one locality and two other singles- but
positively no Gray-cheeked or other early birds to report here. Northern
Cardinal ruled the roost in terms of residents. Blue Jay were low, Carolina
Wren somewhat. Thankfully European Starling low as well. Brown-headed Cowbird
were definitely showing the early-season upswing in numbers in their scattered,
small groups There were decent numbers of mostly male
 Yellow-rumped Warbler and lesser nos of American Goldfinch with a few bright
males, both spp sharing treetops in small groups on the Northeast end near the
parking lot, then also in the central opening near the South end. The YWRA were
singing frequently. There were several smallish groups of Cedar Waxwing at
scattered stops throughout woods, with a larger group in the parking lot. Three
vocalizing Brown Thrasher, 4 Northern Miockingbird and lingering winter
sparrows, with decent numbers of White-throated, a couple of Swamp and several
Savannah at parking lot and bridge areas, rounded out the rest.

By the reports, things look to definitely be shaping up for a "coastal" spring
in terms of arriving migrants putting down. I'm envious- and hope to make it
down there and get in on some of the action soon, myself..................O-;

Good birding everyone!

Terry