[bsg] Rough-legged Hawk - Natchitoches Parish

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <labird-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 15:22:17 -0500 (CDT)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
At approximately 2 PM CDST today, I was driving south on I-49. I was in the
vicinity of the Powhattan exit around mile 150. I saw a large Buteo a few
hundred yards above the ground making a clockwise circle over the road from
east to west. The bird was climbing. The wings were quite light below and I
immediately saw two dark/blackish carpal patches. I admit that I saw the bird
only momentarily so could not pick up on other body markings. The bird's wings
appeared to be more rectangular in shape than elliptical.

The hawk simply did not look right for a Red-tailed Hawk which is the default
Buteo in open agricultural area/WRP/Red River NWR area where I saw it.

It was impossible for me to turn around and go back and look for the bird as
the next exit was the Natchitoches Exit - 138.

Lowery's earliest date for Rough-legged Hawk was 30 October.

The location was in the general area where a Rough-legged Hawk was reported for
the Natchitoches CBC several years ago.

I am making this report to LABIRD because there are several people in the
Shreveport area who are working on big years.