[bsg] Robins FINALLY Show up in West Central Louisiana and Simpson S Quad, Feb 3, 2013

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsg <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 21:08:40 -0600 (CST)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
It was too nice a day to not go birding somewhere. So, I went to the Simpson S
Quad which needed an hour to make it "green" on the state's winter quad map. As
I was leaving home around 8:30 AM, a flock of about 30 robins flew over our
home from north to south over Cotile Lake where we live. However, shortly after
I started my quad survey just west of Hicks, I found a good sized flock of
robins feeding on yaupon berries.

There is really nothing unexpected in the birds I found today but it was nice
to find the species I did find especially the creepers, kinglets, screech owl,
and robins. The 37 birds was a good count for a piney woods quad with no water
features. I've done similar surveys in the same region and have been happy with
25 birds.

One never knows where quad surveys will take him/her. I wound up at the end of
a dead end road which I thought continued through to LA 121. Found a hunting
club and a huge enclosed area surrounded by a small mesh, tall game fence. I
started playing a screech owl tape and heard a growl from what I thought was an
empty dog pen. Well, there was a spooked red fox in the pen. So, I obviously
found a location where a local fox club trains its dog. At least I didn't find
a crystal meth lab or a pot plantation!

Jay Huner