[bsg] Red-cockaded Woodpeckers in Red Dirt Wildlife Area, Jun 12, 2013

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsg <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Laurence Hardy <laurence.hardy@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:18:26 -0500 (CDT)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
While participating in last night's BSG meeting, the suggestion was made about
an outing to see Red-cockaded Woodpeckers. So, on my way home this morning, I
stopped at the Red Dirt Wildlife Area west of I-49 SW of Natchitoches. The most
direct route involves taking Exit 119 and going west to FS 59 and traveling NW
toward the Longleaf Vista site. I found 3 RCWs about 10 AM seeing one and
hearing two. The birds are no longer tending nestlings and were clearly
dispersed away from their cavities.

I would expect that folks can find RCWs at the site and enjoy a nice visit to a
very interesting area with dramatic relief and REAL rocks. However, I suspect
that arriving as near dawn as possible would ensure the best chances for good
views.

Jay Huner

Sent: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:06:04 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: eBird Report - Gorum Quad, Jun 12, 2013