[bsg] Re: Red River National Wildlife Refuge, Headquarters Unit- Bossier City, 11-06-15- 1-2 NOWA, BTNW, 5 SSHA.

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 21:51:46 -0600

Our Indigo Bunting, first spotted by Larry, is also getting quite late-
according to the flagging. (:

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all, Larry Raymond and I had relatively low diversity but there was
quite a few birds active during our visit to headquarters today. It was
also great to see 30+ monarch within a small e/w area along the chocolate
trail. They were nectaring from a low, bright yellow and gaudily-flowering
composite. We put a little work into it today- nearly 0.3 miles of the
central portion of the chocolate trail was over ankle to mostly near
knee-deep in water. The trees were leaning/toppled and our path displaced
and hard to see from the lingering and recent addition to the floodwaters-
but we trudged right on through the log jams and dense, matted weeds.

The best bird notes were 1 Northern Waterthrush (prob 2), 5 Sharp-shinned
Hawk, hatch-year fem Black-throated Green Wa, White-eyed Vireo, flyby
calling Pine Siskin and 2 Gray Catbird. Small land birds were in really
good numbers. Water birding was again slow. Here's our list with embedded
recordings of calls of the (again, probably the second one) N Waterthrush.
So far as I know, this is close to, if not a late date for N Waterthrush
for nw La.

Good birding,

Terry