[bsg] Red River NWR--Yates Tract Shorebird Count

  • From: jftrahan <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdAlert <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:50:06 -0700 (PDT)

Terry Davis and I did a shorebird/landbird survey at RRNWR Yates Tract today
(Saturday).  The best birds there were a juvenile Purple Gallinule hanging near
a juvenile Common Moorhen in the weeds on the  west end of the pond just over
the levee from the barn near the entrance to the refuge. We also had 127
Black-necked Stilts, two Buff-breasted Sandpipers,  16 Upland Sandpipers, one
Semi-palmated Plover, along with other expected shorebirds including Lesser
Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers and Stilt Sandpipers.  We did fairly well with
owls
including a Great Horned Owl calling  at the first stop, two Barn Owls which
flushed from the barn near the entrance to the refuge on Red River Parish road
401while we were stopped  nearly a hundred yards west of there.  We rarely ever
stop to purposely flush the Barn Owls because they are so easily spooked as was
evident today.  After that we heard two Eastern Screech-Owls calling well
after
sunrise in the thicket along the road just past the barn. So, shorebirds are
passing through even in July.  We only need places for them to stop and rest
such as the Yates Tract of the RRNWR.  The complete list of species is below.

Jeff Trahan

2          Blue-winged Teal
5          Pied-billed Grebe
5          Great Egret