[bsg] Red River Least Terns

  • From: Hubert Hervey <hawkeyehub1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alert birds <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 18:03:01 -0700 (PDT)

BSG Members,
On the first least tern survey run on the Arkansas portion of Red River in two
years, Pat Stinson and I counted 148 adult least terns on a 50 mile stretch of
river.  We surveyed from Index (launch at US 71 Bridge north of Texarkana) and
ended at Garland launch.  We saw 3 adult bald eagles at separate locations.
hundreds of swallows, and a brooding Killdeer.  Most least tern colonies are
small, largest 24 adults.  Some are nesting, but more are still pair bonding.
All nests but one had 3 eggs in them.  We had a real treat watching 5 least
tern
herd a turtle away from a nest.  The birds on the side of the turtle raise &
lower their wings in threatening? posturing, while 2 birds at the rear were
actually brave enough to peck at the turtles tail and hind legs.  The species
of
turtle resembled the red-eared slider, only the ears had a yellow stripe,
behind
the eye.  My name is yellow eared slider, but is that a valid name?  The turtle
proceeded apace, out of the nest area, and I caught and took her downstream
about 3 miles, before releasing with a splash.  Great fun, each day on the Red
River is a learning experience.

Hubert