[bsg] Recent migrants Caddo/Bossier 09-21 and 23-12

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 21:18:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all, I found a Lincoln's Sparrow in the ditch not far east of hwy 71 in
Golden Meadows while doing our annual fall butterfly count here in Shreveport
today, first belying it's presence by its low smacked "tsup" chip-call before
seeing it, sounding quite like a dimunitive Brown Thrasher or not unlike a very
tonal Prairie Warbler call. This is not extremely early but was nice to see.
The bird was in tall grass near a small patch of smartweed. A Northern
Waterthrush buzzed me a couple of times giving it's distinct "beek" call as I
surveyed the area. A Least Flycatcher sally-worked a possum grape covered back
yard fence-row just east of there. A lingering hy Mourning Warbler in a dense
Brazilian vervain thicket at the dead end between Academy Sports off Bert Kouns
at I-49 in Shreveport was cool. Other than that, the bluebird skies and rather
calm winds didn't yield much in the way of migrants other than loads of Common
Yellowthroat and several Marsh Wren
 and 1 House behind Academy. Indigo Buntings were scarce during my 8 miles of
walking in several locations in Caddo and Bossier parish. Early on, there were
quite a few Gray Catbird, also Brown Thrashers, with the latter giving their
more notably wooden/muffled versions of Yellow-breasted Cat "tock" series. BRTH
and GRCA were also evident in some numbers on Stephenson St in Shreveport on
Friday, the 21st.

Good birding, Terry