[bsg] RRNWR Bayou Pierre, Yates tract mentionables- Red River Par. 06/01/13

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 13:51:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Jay Huner and I surveyed the area this morning and had a few noteworthy
sightings.

Blue-winged Teal- 2 healthy and flight-capable males in unit 3
Northern Shoveler- 1 male, also healthy and good flier in unit 3
White-rumped Sandpiper- 5 unit 3
American Coot- 1
Bell's Vireo- 2 separate males at diff territories.

Try as we did, we again missed Field Sparrow. I'd figured previously that the
Willow Flycatcher numbers were just a build-up of late spring and lingering
migrants- which today's survey all but proved- with exception of possible
brooding silence. We scanned thoroughly as well. Zero for White-faced and
Glossy Ibis, too.  Other than that, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and Yellow-billed
Cuckoo #s were rather high- with a probable push of late migrant YBCU on top of
area breeders. E Towhee, Carolina Chickadee and Blue-Grosbeak were low with one
each

Good birding,

Terry