[bsg] Not-so-Great-tailed Grackles in Bossier City, 08/31/13

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:57:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hey birders, Noted some heavy tail molt going on with GTGR today. While taking
a spin through the Walmart/ Sonic parking lot on the way home from visiting my
sister around 5:30 p.m., I noted at least 2 males and 2 females of 7 adults
that were entirely tailless. A late brood of 7-8 juveniles with 2-3" rectrices
still being attended to by adults were at a small puddle in the parking lot.
Two females were noted feeding fledgelings what appeared to be discarded canned
sardines or herrings. I just hope that the "water" in the puddle was good- as
there hasn't been any rain lately............

Terry