[bsg] Nesting Birds.

  • From: juliuseck <juliuseck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 12:56:05 -0700 (PDT)

A couple of Night Herons established a nest in a large oak tree in our front
yard and had two chicks, which now are quite large. Lately, we awaken in the
morning to hear them
squawking & bickering high up in the boughs in the early morning. Then later
they seem to enjoy engaging in a hide & seek chase around through the large
trees in the neighborhood.
Interestingly, the closest body of water is the old bayou area along East Kings
highway, which is about one-half mile away.
Also, have had quite a bit of Carolina Wren nesting activity around, with
probably, at least, six new generations being born around our yard in
unpredictable places. All day we hear
their constant calls which I aliken to someone flexing an old rust hinge
rapidly
back and forth.
Also, some new additions to the Cardinal family we have had here for some
years,
as well as the Blue Jays. Have yet to see the Brown Thrashers [a pair] that
appear in the back yard for some
years now.. Crows over in the two big Sycamore trees behind the neighbors
houses
across the street nested again this year and had several young. Now, they keep
busy chasing off

the Mississippi Kites that establish their selves in the area at this time each
year.
As well, a couple of Flicker Wood-peckers have shown up in the neighborhood for
the second year. They seem to really enjoy the loud noise they make when they
peck on roof-
top vents of the houses as well as the power line transformers. Robins are
still
hanging around in spite of the early summer-like heat.
Julius Eck. Broadmoor Terrace, Shreveport.