[bsg] NW Rapides Parish Birds - Kincaid Reservoir, Sep 19, 2014

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsg <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:28:16 -0500 (CDT)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
Well,

Birding is like a box of chocolates - you never know what comes out. Bird
activity has been lousy for the past couple of weeks around here. I didn't hear
anything that sounded like a cardinal this morning. I didn't care to flail away
in head high WET Johnson's grass to work the riparian area below the dam but, I
did stop and use screech-owl playback in decent habitat in several areas and
could not get a cardinal to show itself. Sure, they're there but not very
active.

It was nice to figure out what was making a strong chip note along the top of
the dam. It was a Yellow Warbler! It was also nice to pick up a Yellow-throated
Warbler for my month list. I shouldn't have been surprised to find an Osprey
but birds were so far and few between, it was really nice to hear the call and
then have one make a couple of circles around me.

Jay Huner