[bsg] N Caddo birding- 12/03/14. RUBL presence, others.

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 22:07:48 -0600

Hi all, After growing restless by the day due mainly to the recent lack of
time spent afield, I decided to take a slow work-day rolling north to see
what might be lurking within the rural, mostly farmed pockets of northeast
Caddo Parish. One interesting and pleasant surprise wasn't so much the
overall Rusty Blackbird numbers, but that they were literally just about
everywhere that I birded! I had no more than 100 or so throughout the day
but they were definitely present throughout- from somewhat larger groups in
usual riparian woodland stringer settings to smaller numbers winging it
across vast open spaces. Other good birds today were-

Harris's Sparrows -3-4 (two widely separated areas along George but no real
nos to speak of)

Common Goldeneye- ad fem at Sentell sod farm pond. A group of 60+ Western
Meadowlark was also there- then a single Lapland Longspur but few Horned
Lark- and few of anything else, for that matter....

Good numbers of Hooded Merganser, Pied-billed Grebe, Ring-necked Duck and
two Plegadis sp- somewhat-certain first-winter White-faced Ibis at the duck
ponds along La 71, rounded the day out.

Here's the detailed lists for those feeling a bit adventuresome (don't say
I didn't warn you.....(; )

Overall, even though raptors and a few others were comparatively
non-existence and huge dead zones loomed like gargantuan black holes in
terms of most small passerines, except maybe the icterids that constantly
and noisily droned overhead-  DADGUMMIT  IT SURE WAS FUN!!

Good birding- peace out for now,

Terry