[bsg] Lots of Mississippi Kite in Caddo/ Bossier Par recently.

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 19:17:39 -0500

Birders,

Mississippi Kite detection has been off the chart here recently in many
areas. Just before leaving the LSUS parking lot at noon on Saturday after
our field trip on 08/15, Larry Raymond and I counted a loose group of 30
indiv circling around us. After leaving there, I observed another group of
14 at Clyde Fant and Preston at 12:18, then two shortly after at Arthur Ray
Teague at McDade. Twenty minutes later at Rodney and Bonn in Central Park,
there were 3 more. The birds are either visible or audible giving their
shrill "pee-peer" calls just about anywhere one stops within Shreveport/
Bossier for the past several days- with best activity between ~9am- 3pm-
but often earlier or later. There was a group of 4 keeping us entertained
while working near Monrovia and Gilbert the entire day today. Most have
been adult but there have also been a few hatch year birds in the mix.

Cheers and good birding,

Terry