[bsg] Re: [LABIRD-L] Terrebonne Clay-colored Sparrow

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Conover <jconover@xxxxxxxxxx>, Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 12:28:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John/ all, Nice southeastern find, bro!! I also had two Clay-colored
Sparrows this morning along the bayou that intersects Bee Bend subdivision-
this just North of Bossier off of Vanceville Rd in Bossier par. Fos for us (I'm
thinking, anyway...) here but by no means early. Another grounded migrant there
was a Northern Waterthrush slinking among the baldcypress and calling
frequently. A slow trickle of 8-10 Indigo Buntings overhead to S from singles
to groups of 2 and a latish Dickcissel, all during a thirty minute mid-morning
stretch, wrapped up the finds there.

Yesterday evening at 7:05 while leaving my nephew's 14th birthday party at
Santa Fe restaurant on Airline Dr ~.5 miles N of I-220, I singly counted 127
Great-tailed Grackle amongst starlings on the wires and tops of small live oaks
adjacent the road. After counting those, we tried making a beeline only a
little over a mile South of I-220 to count any other GTGR gatherings on the
wires near Walmart and Sonic. However and not surprisingly for anyone who knows
Bossier City traffic in this particular area, it was nearly dark before we got

Good birding,

Terry