[bsg] Ivan BBS, Ivan and Carterville quad highlights- Bossier Par. 06/ 09/ 13

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 15:54:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Birders,

 I had a good morning surveying the Ivan BBS! The route falls within the
boundaries of both Ivan and Carterville quads. I'm pretty sure Cliff Swallow
was a first with 3 at the second to last stop near 157 and Dixon Cutoff. I'm
thinking a single Lark Sparrow early on was also a first. Other good ones for
this quad with two each at separate stops were Broad-winged Hawk, Eastern
Phoebe and Worm-eating Warbler. Warbler numbers, in general, seemed quite low-
especially Yellow-breasted Chat, Hooded, Common Yellowthroat, Pine and Kentucky
(somewhat for latter two)- but did have one Louisiana Waterthrush, several
Prairie, 2 Yellow-throated Wa and 1 Prothonotary. Missed BAWW, SWWA and NOPA.
Northern Parula is very rare here, from memory- and unsurprisingly so with the
route's lack of Tillandsia and/or any major water sources. Red-eyed Vireo were
fairly high. Only a single Yellow-throated Vireo and White-eyed numbers were
so-so. BGGN and WOTH were down somewhat.
 Numbers were good to excellent for Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Acadian Flycatcher
and Chipping Sparrow- also Common Grackle at several stops early. Cardinalids
were so-so and BLGR was low. There was a single Dickcissel at two separate
stops. Although they're a fairly recent addition, this seemed lower than last
survey. OROR nos were good. Unfortunately, BHCO nos were also rather high.
Waders are rare here so singles of GBHE, GREG and CAEG were good. The only LBHE
seen were 2 flyovers at once between two stops. Only a single RTHU and no owls
or caprimulgids.

Happy BBS'ing/ SBA'ing. (-;

Terry Davis