[bsg] Goldonna quad- Natchitoches/Winn Par very green 07/11/14

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:51:44 -0500

Hello Birders,

 Larry Raymond and I worked Goldonna quad from the N-w (La 9) and N central
(La 126) to the S-e via Strange Rd and other smaller roads, finally ending
in Goldonna, where we spent some time trying to access water, yet couldn't.
The habitat was mostly rolling pine/oak hills and managed loblolly pine
with multiple hardwood bottoms, then scattered flat woods here and there.
Homesteads and/or small farmed parcels limited to mostly N-w and S-e
portions of the quad. Out of 62 spp found, best birds and counts were:

Great Egret- 5= 2,1,1,1

Little Blue Heron= 1,1- ad and juv

Cattle egret- 1.............mentionable in this quad in terms of habitat.

Red-tailed Hawk- 1= fairly few openings and/or clear cuts.

Broad-winged Hawk= 1

Chuck- 3=  first stop.

Chimney swift- 17= 6,1,1,6,2,1

Red Head Woodpecker- 3= 1,1,1

Hairy- 3= 1,2

White-breasted Nuthatch- 6= 2,2,1,1- widely scattered at various bottoms
Brown-headed "- 12= 1,4,4,3- mostly in managed pine area

Yellow-throated- 2. At second stop. Missed in Coup Point quad.

Black-and White Warbler- 4= 1,1,1,1- all females except one, which briefly
seen appeared to be female and not fall male. Missed in Coup Point.

Swainson's "- 2= 1,1

Summer Tanager- 17. High again in a neighboring quad.

Bachman's sparrow- 3= 2,1 in general vicinity of Strange Rd and Cloud
Crossing Rd.

Red-winged Blackbird- 1 male- flyover to West at site of two singing
Bachman's Sparrow- which was a bit odd.

Low light were-

Yellow-billed Cuckoo- 2

Acadian Flycatcher- 1= also missed in Coup Point. We had 5 EAKI in Goldonna
today- missed in Coup Point.

American Crow- 19

Orchard Oriole- 1 song. Not too surprising as getting late............

We had an excellent day for the heat. Goldonna now needs 2 hours, 20
minutes to finish. Coup Point needs 2 hrs, 30 minutes.

With some luck, we may do that Monday.

On the way home, we stopped briefly to look at a pair of Western Kingbirds
in south Bossier City- male standing guard and female on nest- at the power
substation S on Barksdale Blvd / 71- immediately S of the truck stop and rd
to the marina (just N of Taylortown)- on W side of rd. A single or pair has
been showing there for the past 2-3 years

Good birding,

Terry