[bsg] Fwd: eBird Report - Kincaid Reservoir, Apr 10, 2013

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsg-request <bsg-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bsg <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:57:31 -0500 (CDT)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:40:17 PM
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Kincaid Reservoir, Apr 10, 2013

Thought I'd share this report from central Louisiana. Not sure if it merits a
labird post. Pretty much had given up on year birds when I heard a Summer
Tanager singing when I was returning to my truck. It was interesting to watch
the large flock of Tree Swallows high in the sky and then on the "deck" working
what appeared to be clouds of male mosquitos in the knee high wildflowers on
the the dam's face. I visit the Kincaid dam area regularly. One thing I've
noticed is concentration of Northern Rough-winged Swallows around the spillway.
For some reason, they prefer to feed around the spillway and ignore the
abundant mosquitos that the Tree Swallows were swarming.

The riparian area below the dam can be good for neotrop songbird migrants but
wasn't yesterday.

Jay Huner