[bsg] Re: Fwd: Re: eBird Report - Oak Ridge Park, Oct 17, 2013

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom P <drtomdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:56:26 -0500 (CDT)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
Tom,

I doubt that the migrants are coming "later". I figure that they just basically
skirted around Louisiana or staged in areas where birders don't bird. I don't
keep up with listservs east/west of Louisiana. I'm not so sure that birds may
not just spread out such that they aren't conspicuous and as soon as the winds
are favorable, spring up and cross the Gulf. I don't think there are any radar
systems that pick up fall migration - north to south across the Gulf - the way
they pick up incoming birds in the Spring. Howsomeever, I seem to recall seeing
radar images from Cape May involving fall migration.

Mike, Steve, Terry might have some thoughts on this?

Jay