[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Sentell Rd, Aug 12, 2012 + Ark Brown Boobytime!!

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:28:22 -0700 (PDT)

Sentell Rd, Caddo, US-LA
Aug 12, 2012 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
7.5 mile(s)
Comments:     4 observers, 1 hr, 7.5 miles. 99 degrees- 50% high/thin clouds,
calm, 91 degrees ending. Birded Sentell Rd and sod farm with Charlie Lyon,
Hubert Hervey and Rosemary Seidler- not including the n to s dirt rd on the n
end adjacent the pecan orchard. Numbers of post-breeding Lark Sparrow were
nothing short of amazing. Sep breeding gps, including fledgelings of both
Horned Lark and Grasshopper Sparrow were awesome to see, too. Other than a
decent number of Upland Sandpiper, things were quite slow. Complete miss of
American Crow was odd. The observation of hordes of molting hy Brown-headed
Cowbird were a bit troubling- but seem consistent here at this time just about
every year.

The above count was done on the way back from a morning trip just w of Little
Rock Arkansas to view the SUPER-APPROACHABLE ad female Brown Booby. We arrived
to Vicky Martin's House before noon and were immediately informed by other
birders present that the bird had just flown around the corner of a cove toward
Chris Peach's residence. We scanned for awhile, then Chris arrived in the party
barge shortly after Charlie called him and we were off. We rounded the corner
toward the cove and spotted the bird atop the roof of his dock. The bird sat
still, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it was virtually surrounded by
people. Charlie and others obtained super-crisp shots at close range. I even
managed some crappy cell-phone pics. Shortly afterward, the bird flew toward
the lake and resumed fishing. It flew quite low, within 30 feet or so of the
water, occasionally higher, tracing along and occasionally circling briefly as
it studied the lake below. At least
 one plunge-dive was observed. It was a amazing to see the bird rise slightly,
then immediately turn, fold it's wings and plummet, barely making a ripple as
it shot through the calm lake surface after it's quarry!! The bird was observed
flying and perched briefly at two other locations after this. Thanks again to
Charlie Lyon, Vicky Martin and Chris Peach and others for the hospitality while
we were there! I would suggest this as a day trip for anyone! It's an amazingly
easy "tick"!! O-;
31 species

Great Blue Heron  2     sod farm
Great Egret  2     sf
Cattle Egret  1     lone flyby sf
White Ibis  11     juvenile flybys sf
Turkey Vulture  1
Killdeer  12     2,2, n end, 8 sf
Upland Sandpiper  18     sf cattle pasture area
Mourning Dove  190     Large gp of 150-+ on n-e end just w of pecan orchard,
rest scatt gps.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1     in/near cotton crop
Eastern Kingbird  15     gp of 10 sf, rest elsewhere
Loggerhead Shrike  3     1, 2
Blue Jay  1
Horned Lark  5     1 ad and 4 short-tailed and barely fledged juve at sf cattle
pasture
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Bank Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  132
Cliff Swallow  25
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Eastern Bluebird  12     gp s-e end
American Robin  1     Thicket, n-w end, which was only non-open area we briefly
checked
Northern Mockingbird  5
European Starling  90     Few n end and gp at sf area
Prothonotary Warbler  1     male, thicket n end
Lark Sparrow  43     Largest nos along n end, especially last mile before the
n-e pecan orchard- grps of 2-5 scattered- on ground, wires and fences. Some
amazing nos.
Grasshopper Sparrow  4     3 ads (2 singing) at same location, approx 75 yds n
of the Horned Larks in cattle pasture , 1 older juve/hy and 2 ads perched on
low barbed-wire fence.
Northern Cardinal  2
Indigo Bunting  2     thicket n end
Dickcissel  2     locals just about outta here!
Red-winged Blackbird  100     fem
Eastern Meadowlark  2     1,1- n end and sf
Brown-headed Cowbird  770     Group strung between last Sloan farm-house to s
and just s of sf- all seen well appeared to be molting/mottled hy.