[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Red River National Wildlife Refuge- Headquarters Unit, Jan 26, 2013

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:28:12 -0800 (PST)

Red River National Wildlife Refuge- Headquarters Unit, Bossier, US-LA
Jan 26, 2013 7:10 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.75 mile(s)
Comments:     16 observers, 5 hr, 20 mins, 1.5 miles. Birded with Linda Stewart
Knight, Bob Knight, Jack Land, Marsha Land, Kimberly Lanka, Gavin Lanka,
Roselie Overby, Lindsay Seeley, Jan Laird, Marybeth Lima, Jane Patterson,
Christine Kooi, Kay Rogers and the Tramontanas. 48 degrees, cloudy, wind E at 6
mph beginning. Began early scoping the lake from the HQ pier, then walked the
lake trail N of the building, crossing levee to North, then a W portion of the
pecan orchard in a wide circle back to HQ. Afterward, we drove the trail
through the back field and walked approx .2 miles Northeast on the chocolate
trail. We did not cover the lake bluff trail to S of building, River trail, or
the northern 3/4 of the Chocolate Trail. We had some great birds but several
nearly inexplicable misses and quite slow with some spp. The camaraderie was
fun!!
69 species

Wood Duck  3
Gadwall  850     Conservative! Hordes intermingling in tight grp with AMCO on
main lake. Interestingly, bare eyed the group appears to be mostly AMCO.
Through bins or scope one quickly realizes otherwise.
Northern Shoveler  2     m,f sep
Ring-necked Duck  2     m,f
Lesser Scaup  10     ~70% f
Bufflehead  1     f
Ruddy Duck  1
Pied-billed Grebe  5     low!
Double-crested Cormorant  40
Anhinga  1
American White Pelican  31     26,3,2
Great Blue Heron  4
Great Egret  6
Black-crowned Night-Heron  3     1 ad, 2 juv.
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  7
Osprey  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1     ad or 2y, prob f
Cooper's Hawk  1     juv f
Bald Eagle  2     1 ad, prob m, 1 hatch-year.
Red-tailed Hawk  2     ad
American Coot  950
Killdeer  1
Bonaparte's Gull  2     2 ad comm S-e early
Ring-billed Gull  5     " ad + hy- most moving as singles
Forster's Tern  6     " most singles
Rock Pigeon  3     1,2 S-e
Mourning Dove  10     singles, then 3,2
Belted Kingfisher  2     1,1- pier and Chocolate trail
Red-bellied Woodpecker  20
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  6
Downy Woodpecker  8
Hairy Woodpecker  2     1 just S of Scott Dickson's, 1 just S of Chocolate
Trail.
Northern Flicker  6
Eastern Phoebe  2     1,1 LOW!!.......?
Blue Jay  12     Low!
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  3
Carolina Chickadee  9     Low!
Tufted Titmouse  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  3     single grp in pecan just North of HQ
Brown-headed Nuthatch  8     Singles to 3- most within morning route/circle on
N side of lake- in overgrown pecan orchard.
House Wren  5     Miss of WIWR here was mind-boggling!!
Carolina Wren  13
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2     1,1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  9     Comparatively very low!
Eastern Bluebird  5     2,1,2
American Robin  8     most early commuters- HETH miss was noteworthy
Northern Mockingbird  5
European Starling  2
Cedar Waxwing  5     single grp
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  85     Surprising miss of PIWA considering good
nos along river this winter season. OCWA also notable miss.
Eastern Towhee  5
Chipping Sparrow  15     single grp
Vesper Sparrow  8     200 yds N-w of last well.
Savannah Sparrow  10     Scatt grps mostly on back trail
Fox Sparrow  7     Most near chocolate trail
Song Sparrow  13     Orchard and back trail
Swamp Sparrow  5     2,2,1
White-throated Sparrow  78     Most lake trail/orchard
Harris's Sparrow  5     All immature-type or female, but including 2 larger
prob h.y. males. Strangely, not one single alarm call to playback but several
partial songs and less flocking calls recorded.
White-crowned Sparrow  11     2 near HQ, rest scatt grps in back field
Dark-eyed Junco  4     3,1
Northern Cardinal  39.....low for here.
Red-winged Blackbird  287     most early commute grps
Common Grackle  830     "
Brown-headed Cowbird  5     " single grp
House Finch  5     3, 2 back field.
American Goldfinch  8     Scatt singles to 3

View this checklist online at

I consider this a group list so if I failed to list spp that others observed,
let me know.

Cheers,

Terry