[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Red River NWR--Bayou Pierre Unit Yates Tract, Mar 30, 2013

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 17:42:09 -0700 (PDT)

 Hi all, Here's afull list that I'd already posted a partial of, previously.
I'll go ahead and post itas somewhat comparative (route slightly different,
except shorebird survey) to yesterday's full list, coming next!

Red River NWR--Bayou Pierre Unit Yates Tract, Red River, US-LA
Mar 30, 2013 7:50 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.35 mile(s)
Comments:     2 observers, 4 hrs, 40 mins, 7.5 miles. 58 degrees, calm/
drizzling beginning, then clearing somewhat and rather cool at 54 degrees
early/mid-survey, 67 degrees, 70% cloudy ending. Charlie Lyon and I birded the
refuge somewhat different than the usual survey. We turned N at the barn into
the complex rather than continuing to the curve in 401 to the East. We also
continued Northeast between the oxbows E of the levee to the wooded N dead end.
We had some really good duck numbers, also that of a few lingering winterers
such as sparrows and Ruby-crowned Kinglet. However, birding was excruciatingly
slow in regard to arriving land-bird migrants.
75 species

Wood Duck  8     Singles to 4 moving early
Gadwall  441     All but single bird at barn pond and other oxbows along river.
Single indiv in unit 3- interesting.
American Wigeon  8     2 in unit 3. Rest barn pond/ oxbows
Mallard  2     Barn Pond
Blue-winged Teal  69     30, and 7 away from, rest units.
Northern Shoveler  535     All but a few in units.
Northern Pintail  3     Males- units
Green-winged Teal  645     All in units
Ring-necked Duck  1     Female/ oxbow
Lesser Scaup  1     Female/ barn pond.
Pied-billed Grebe  12     All barn pond and oxbows
Double-crested Cormorant  1     Oxbow
American Bittern  1     Unit 7. Flushed from cattails twice, gave two flight
calls the second time
Great Blue Heron  4     All commuters
Great Egret  10     Only THREE in units. Also only wader recorded except WFIB
and three comm. CAEG grps
Cattle Egret  21     Commuters as 3,15,3
White-faced Ibis  6     As 1,4,1, in units.
Turkey Vulture  2     Singles
Northern Harrier  6     2m, 4 f-t units.
Bald Eagle  1     Juvenile/ 1st year bird overhead near units.
Red-tailed Hawk  7     One very nice textbook adult krider's first spotted near
oxbow adjacent levee/ u 7.
Virginia Rail  1     Unit 7- Standing, grunting in a small opening in plain
sight approx 8 feet away.
Sora  1     Flushed from narrow unit division rd with dense vetch into open
sparse cattails in 7
American Coot  230     Sep units.
American Golden-Plover  4     Resting in short grass on unit 3 division rd.
Killdeer  13     All except three scatt singles in units.
Greater Yellowlegs  29     1 barn pond, rest sep units
Lesser Yellowlegs  39     Sep units
Least Sandpiper  83     Sep units
Pectoral Sandpiper  95     Sep units
Long-billed Dowitcher  95     Sep units
Wilson's Snipe  78     units, largest gp in 4
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Mourning Dove  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker  6
Downy Woodpecker  4
Northern Flicker  3
Eastern Phoebe  2     Only flycatcher. Single STFL on hwy 1 N of complex
afterward
White-eyed Vireo  6
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  3
Purple Martin  8
Tree Swallow  20     Most over unit 3 and 2 with Cliff and Barn.
Barn Swallow  15
Cliff Swallow  2
Carolina Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  7
House Wren  8     much song
Sedge Wren  4     Sep units
Marsh Wren  3     All in rather small area of unit 7
Carolina Wren  14
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1     ..........!!?
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  20     This number felt way too conservative afterward-
much partial song, too
Eastern Bluebird  1
American Robin  2     single grp commuters.
Northern Mockingbird  10
Brown Thrasher  7
European Starling  10
Cedar Waxwing  18     10,8
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  2     males, single location near oxbow
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  16     Most males, some partial song.
Eastern Towhee  6     Several singers, most near oxbows
Chipping Sparrow  1     calls along 401
Savannah Sparrow  86     most in units/ rd divisions
Le Conte's Sparrow  4     sep indivs units, most between 4 and 5
Song Sparrow  5     Scatt singles
Swamp Sparrow  63     Count very conservative. Much partial song.
White-throated Sparrow  32     Scatt, mostly small grps except two of 10, 12
White-crowned Sparrow  30     Most near levee and smaller grps- single grp of 14
Northern Cardinal  47     Conservative!
Red-winged Blackbird  130     Few early commuters, most units.
Eastern Meadowlark  4     401
Common Grackle  603     Including large early grp of 600 commuters.
Brown-headed Cowbird  20     Many scattered and displaying grps of 1-5. While I
realize that some male BHCO calls are fairly reminiscent of Broad-winged Hawk,
they almost invariably end with a longish ascending note + tonal quality
notably different. However, one males call was so spot on for Broad-winged that
it was eery!

View this checklist online at

Good birding,

Terry