[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Red River NWR--Bayou Pierre Unit Yates Tract, Aug 9, 2013

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:24:14 -0700 (PDT)

 I'd like to first like to give a big THANK YOU to Dennis and Janice Forshee of
The Wild Bird Center in Shreveport for hooking me up with my new Swarovski
Swarovision EL 10x50's! The crisp detail and amazing color across the entire
viewing field is downright AMAZING!! The quick focusing from close to infinity
is also a plus. Although I liked my old Bruntons, viewing birds in flight after
backing down an increment in magnification, plus quicker focus, is now notably
less tedious. Once again, y'all came through for me quickly and at a very fair
price!!

One other detail left out from last week was the observation of a Cattle Egret
with a still-squirming and large pocket gopher. It caught the hapless animal
seconds behind a large mowing tractor near the barn pond. It quickly dispatched
it's meal, then swallowed it whole.

Red River NWR--Bayou Pierre Unit Yates Tract, Red River, US-LA
Aug 9, 2013 6:30 AM - 11:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.3 mile(s)
Comments:     5 observers, 5 hours, 10 minutes (0630-1140) 5.5 miles. Birded
with Hubert Hervey, Larry Raymond, then Sarah and Julie Haggerty of San Diego,
Ca, in part. Some notes of birds, especially pertaining to shorebirds and water
birds, included from Ronnie Maum who birded and photo'd separately from the
Westernmost units early. 76 deg, clear, calm/ trace E beginning, mostly very
light S-e winds during survey, then 89 degrees, 30% puffy clouds, wind calm/
light S-e ending. Alder Flycatcher was also notable in some numbers here at the
refuge. I made several recordings during opportunities when the wind was
totally calm or light. We were unable to bird the N end of unit 4 thoroughly
and also missed the W side of that unit on the way out.

66 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  6     adults, 2 E toward river early, 2 at barn
pond, then 2 in unit 3. Much flying and calling observed with first two pairs.
There were comparatively VERY few other birds at the barn pond (bp) for the
first time in weeks.

Pied-billed Grebe  1     bp
Anhinga  1     Later morning commuter to S-w along the levee
Great Blue Heron  4     Flyovers and 1 at bp, most early
Great Egret  15     Two early comm, 1 at bp, rest units (u)
Snowy Egret  34     early flyover and rest at u, mostly in 2
Little Blue Heron  22     Several at bp, mostly ad, rest units. Slightly higher
no of hy but still mostly ad.
Cattle Egret  212     Early flyovers, bp and most u 3 and 1.
Green Heron  5     Mostly j, 2 in vicinity of bp, 1 in units, 2 j perched on
shrub between unit 5 and 6
White Ibis  84     Good number of adults at bp and a few juv. More juvenile
than last survey, still 90% ad.
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  10     Group of 4 and scatt singles
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     juvenile N end of u 1.
Broad-winged Hawk  1     Hubert- adult flyby near levee
Killdeer  86     Small group at bp, rest mostly units 2 and 3.
Black-necked Stilt  4     Early at unit 2 by Ronnie.
Spotted Sandpiper  1     H-o bp
Solitary Sandpiper  2     Unit 2. One studied closely through scope with much
brownish coloration and large evenly distributed spotting appeared to be the
first hy of the year.

Willet  1     U 2. First found by Ronnie who got excellent photos. Found by us
later at a slightly different loc and crappy photos obtained. Surprisingly, no
other Tringa was surprising.

Least Sandpiper  1     1 h.h at bp, 2 at u 2. One was still bright adult.
Pectoral Sandpiper  1     ad, unit 2,- also photo'd by Ronnie.
Least Tern  7     Moving very high S just S of levee bend- all calls were ad
type but nsw.
Eurasian Collared-Dove  5     401
Mourning Dove  13     Scatt singles to 2
Inca Dove  1     Calling on 401. Missed YBCU. CHSW has also been tough here,
lately!
Eastern Screech-Owl  1     Day calling bird in heat N end of u 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2     1 f-t along 401, another briefly attempting to
nectar at tall yellow-flowering Sesbania in u 3.
Red-headed Woodpecker  2     401 at 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  4
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3     As 2,1 along 401 at usual spots near 1, then farmhouse
Alder Flycatcher  13     Coming on through! These were detected with slightly
odd spacing with 3, then only singles until last 10 minutes of survey where two
calling birds were heard in a large Sesbania thicket at the N end of unit 1.
Only one group of birds were heard bickering and trilling and not giving
diagnostic ALFL notes like all others heard, such as "pip", "weeyr" or song.
Another note I failed to mention is that I've rarely, if ever, found Alder side
by side with Willow or within the exact same group of birds. They may be close
but there is nearly always some spacing between the species when migrating
through.

Eastern Phoebe  1     yellow-bellied hy flyover/ dispersal along 401 just E of
barn.
Great Crested Flycatcher  4     1,2,1
Eastern Kingbird  7     Mostly scatt singles on the move in various directions,
most gen S
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  2     Unit 2
White-eyed Vireo  8     Scatt calling singles.
Bell's Vireo  1     Incessant singer in area where previously not found just
N-w of pole shed/ house along levee.
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  2     Sep calling singles- first crows in several surveys.
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  1     Calling overhead near wire, rest near
there were Cliff.
Cliff Swallow  19     Scattered singles to 3 moving overhead to S at scatt
areas during day.
Carolina Chickadee  6     Singles and 3 at last stop N end. No TUTI for some
time.
Carolina Wren  20     Scattered 1 to 3 mostly early.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3     Single dispersals, mostly along 401
Eastern Bluebird  1     401 near 1
Northern Mockingbird  14     Largest group of 6 near Farmhouse, scatt singles
elsewhere.
Brown Thrasher  1     calling along levee
European Starling  23     Including late group of 21 higher overhead to E in
units, where not usually seen
Common Yellowthroat  8     Most singing males and a few calling birds. Two
males giving "sht't't't't't'tick trills
Prairie Warbler  1     observed overhead early high to N-w, calling.
Yellow-breasted Chat  4     Scatt singles. Brief song from one, rest by tocking
series calls.
Eastern Towhee  11     rise in detection of singers and calling birds. Scatt
throughout area in thickets except those adjacent moist soil units.
Field Sparrow  1     Usual bird along levee S-w of cemetery, possibly 2
Summer Tanager  2     1 f, 1 c along 401
Northern Cardinal  31
Blue Grosbeak  10     Scatt 1-2  ~50/50 m/f
Indigo Bunting  14     Many on the move, a few higher overhead. Several f seen
this day. Certainly not migrants but typical dispersal-type behavior begins
fairly early.
Painted Bunting  1     f-t
Dickcissel  13     Several by flight call overhead- sitting birds, as usual,
also observed giving this call. No singers. Highest nos near levee at unit 7.
Red-winged Blackbird  52     30 f E near bp, 20, 2 f in bp. I failed to record
any males.
Common Grackle  1     flyby 4011
Brown-headed Cowbird  1     f
Orchard Oriole  6     Scatt singles, mostly f
Baltimore Oriole  9     Scatt calling, mostly f along 401- a few short songs. 2
separte f overhead.
House Sparrow  3     Less notable at 401 and 1.

View this checklist online at

Cheers y'all,

Terry