[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Red River NWR--Bayou Pierre Unit Yates Tract, Aug 18, 2012

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:26:07 -0700 (PDT)

 Hi all, Jeff, Jean, Rosemary and I had an interesting survey today. Things
seem to be shaping up for our shorebird survey next Saturday afternoon.
Hopefully many of you can join us then! Multiple Bell's Vireo and an early Sora
were best birds of day.....................

Red River NWR--Bayou Pierre Unit Yates Tract, Red River, US-LA
Aug 18, 2012 12:00 AM - 4:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.8 mile(s)
Comments:     4 observer, 4 hrs, 10 mins, 5.8 miles. Cloudy, calm, 78 degrees
beginning, then 60-80% cloudy, light w/wsw, then Cloudy/light rain, 5-8 nnw
ending. Birded RRNWR Bayou Pierre Unit, Yates Tract with Jeff and Jean Trahan
and Rosemary Seidler. Passerine activity has picked up quite a bit, as have
shorebirds. Best birds this survey were a Sora, two juvenile Roseate Spoonbill
and 2 to possibly 4 Bell's Vireo. Alder Fly remains almost a dime-a-dozen,
especially in areas of black willow bordered by roughleaf dogwood. I've always
suspected that Bell's Vireo might breed here but we've yet to find it singing
during earlier surveys, even though we've covered the likely areas w/scattered
shrubby trees, few vines and tall grass quite well that lie between the levee,
airstrip, cemetery and barn pond. However, it is usually very hot when we've
begun these surveys in mid July- so we may only now, after the recent summer
rains, be experiencing a resurgence
 in song and activity on what actually is a breeding ground for BEVI. It's hard
to tell by these circumstances whether these are actual fall migrants or
breeders, though, as the previous summers were also hot once the surveys were
begun- and there wasn't any respite until late. This is the first with some
consistent and early respite from the heat during the summer season.
The shorebird portion of the survey seems lackluster in overall diversity thus
far this season in comparison to last, although it might be a little too early
to be making that judgement. Numbers of Semi Plover and Greater Yellowlegs,
among others seem comparatively low this fall. Today marked the first notable
nos of Stilt Sandpiper, except for some flybys in an earlier survey. This area
has always seemed low in the diversity of small shorebirds, such as extremely
low numbers of Western and Semipalmated Sandpipers, also Baird's (although
latter never common anywhere here)- with other areas surveyed in past years
along the Red River having a better showing in this respect. I'm fairly sure
the moist soil soil impoundments/units are fish free. While that might seem a
discouragement for larger spp such as Greater Yellowlegs, it certainly doesn't
seem to figure in regarding other shallow/mudflat-using spp. Although we've
found some really good passerines
 here, warbler diversity remains quite low. However, this is a near constant
for most areas in nw La, except for areas such as Stoner Woods. Maybe we just
haven't found the right thicket here, yet!? I'm game to keep trying until we do!
77 species

Blue-winged Teal  118     First major increase. Most in units 3 and 5- males
showing better plumage-wise, now
Pied-billed Grebe  2     barn pond
Anhinga  2     1 adm high to sse early, fem at levee oxbow.
Great Blue Heron  2     barn pond
Great Egret  28     9, most singles/commuters sse early, rest units
Snowy Egret  18     2 early sse, rest units
Little Blue Heron  36     1 barn pond, rest units, mostly 3 and 5, notably
higher percentage of adults today- approx 50+%
Tricolored Heron  2     1 high sse early, 1 juv barn pond
Cattle Egret  158     Early commuters only 1-3 variable directions, rest units
Green Heron  4     barn pond, 1 ad, 1 juv of those seen well
White Ibis  158     Gps of 1-6 s/sse early, more juv in early commute than at
units, 3 at units, rest adults
White-faced Ibis  2     unit 2
Roseate Spoonbill  2     1 hy sse early, then 1 prob 2nd y e/ne
Turkey Vulture  7
Mississippi Kite  2     juveniles circ high over units late in survey
Cooper's Hawk  2     2 sep, unit 5, scattering shorebirds on separate passes,
both juv, 1 prob f, 1 prob m.
Red-tailed Hawk  1     ad circling high over units
Sora  1     Prob juvenile/hy? observed at close range (15'-25' to our west) for
several minutes out in open mud in unit. Sides of breast and neck entirely
brownish w/no hint of gray. Bill mostly dark and paler/yellowish at base,
although appeared to show some very small splotches of yellow in bill midway
toward tip- the latter marking was somewhat confusing- possibly adult?- or just
over-analyzing........................ Either way, definitely Sora

Common Gallinule  4     barn pond
Semipalmated Plover  4     1 adult in unit 3, 3 indivs heard calling then
arriving into unit 2
Killdeer  65     2 at barn pond, rest units
Black-necked Stilt  82     most unit 2, rest/few in 3
Spotted Sandpiper  2     1 ad unit 2, 1 indiv unit 3
Solitary Sandpiper  18     14 in unit 3, 4 in unit 2. Several closely observed
appearedm to be crisp, brownish-tinged juves.
Greater Yellowlegs  6     1 in unit 3, 5 in 6- the few seen well were ads
Lesser Yellowlegs  72     A few in unit 3, rest/most in 2- a few appeared to be
juvenile-plumaged
Upland Sandpiper  2     Single flyover at barn pond, 1 flyover at units
Least Sandpiper  77     Units 3 and 2, several reddish/crisp juveniles
Pectoral Sandpiper  142     Unit 3 and 2- also several warm/reddish crisp
apparent juveniles- Mostly smaller indivs but apparently higher no of larger
males than before.
Stilt Sandpiper  61     1 juvenile unit 3, rest in two- 5 ads and rest juvenile
of those seen closely
Long-billed Dowitcher  1     1 basic ad or 1st summer molting to winter- oddly
plumaged bird studied full-frame through scope with overall med brownish-gray
back. Scapulars, back feathers only faintly-edged contrastingly paler. Some
scapulars back feathers notably larger against smaller covert feathers. Seems
early/odd for this plumage- at least here.

Wilson's Snipe  1     Unit 3- FOS - first heard calling then observed upon
relocation fairly close by
Mourning Dove  12     Only a few at moist soil units this day
Eastern Screech-Owl  2     sep loc's
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  6     as 2,2,1,1- including 1 female-type and 1 hym.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3     1,1,1
Acadian Flycatcher  1     Calling on w end of barn pond
Alder Flycatcher  24     Less, but still quite a bit of song today-  recorded
everywhere sampled except units and hackberry woods on n end- as
3,2,2,2,4,2,5,1,2,1- obtained more recordings
Great Crested Flycatcher  2     1,1
Eastern Kingbird  27     Most of those observed moving early were to n/ne.
Groups of 1-7 observed.
White-eyed Vireo  2     1,1
Bell's Vireo  2     First suspected by thin scold, then observed shortly
thereafter by Rosemary and I at w end of barn pond, another indiv
simultaneously scolding heard approx 75 yards to the se sounded even better
than the first, but I do not trust BEVI vs WEVI 100% by scold alone. Another
indiv singing loudly at cemetery ~.3 miles n of there, possibly a  2nd also
singing briefly more distantly to the w there- recorded the closest indiv. Same
singing Field Sparrow and single Alder Flycatcher also singing there. There was
a good movement of other passerines including YEWA, YBCH, BLGR, INBU,
Dickcissel, and OROR at this area

Red-eyed Vireo  1     Mig in sapling green ash near levee bend
Blue Jay  20     Highest recent nos- gps of 1-3 at many localities
American Crow  9
Fish Crow  3     moist soil units/area
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  4     4 e over barn pond early.
Purple Martin  10     Loosely strung gp including 3 adm circling/slowly, quite
low to s/sse over barn pond.
Tree Swallow  7     1, 5 and 1 sse
Cliff Swallow  2     moist soil units- only swallow in that area today.
Carolina Chickadee  5     Parids again low- missed TUTI
Carolina Wren  15     Det's falling
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  9     Various- but all east and n of levee, as
1,1,2,1,1,2,1
Eastern Bluebird  3     Early on 401 near 1
American Robin  1     401
Northern Mockingbird  12     mostly singles, virtually no song, up again
slightly
Brown Thrasher  1     First in several surveys, good spot by Jean on levee e/n
of bend
European Starling  13
Northern Waterthrush  3     as 1, 2 in ditch bisecting units
Kentucky Warbler  1     by chip series- woods near levee bend
Yellow Warbler  10     Scattered 1-2 most on move e and s, most seen well were
fem.
Yellow-breasted Chat  17     Very good count this late! Lots given wooden
"tock" series- at least 6 indivs seen- this number is conservative.
Eastern Towhee  4     1 by call along 401, 3 (3 call, 1 song) near cemetery.
Field Sparrow  1     No doubt same indiv singing near cemetery- recorded again.
Summer Tanager  1     call on 401 just sw of farmhouse.
Northern Cardinal  56     One of the best counts ever!!, including winter.....
but in August........? Widespread through count area. Hordes especially along
401 in areas surveyed to e of barn, also from levee bend to cemetery.
Blue Grosbeak  12     Singles to 2 scattered throughout, mostly f but a few
singing males, some moving overhead to s/se
Indigo Bunting  58     First major increase. Lots of female-types and a few
males on the move. Only a couple of singers- and those giving extravagant songs
with long and descending buzzy trills- as males on the move often do.
Painted Bunting  2     1 female, 1 adm along levee- male by Jean!
Dickcissel  44     Fmi for migrants? Several overhead early in variable
directions from e to sw. Scattered singles to two. No song but evidently a few
breeders remaining- as suggestive by juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird
following/begging and apparently being closely attended to by an ad Dickcissel.
Single tight/cohesive gp of 20 near unit 7
Red-winged Blackbird  3     L-O-W!! Females counted as 1 and 2 near units 4/5
Common Grackle  9     most early near barn/401
Brown-headed Cowbird  4     1 juve mentioned above, then 3 juve/f to e along
levee.
Orchard Oriole  14     Scattered gps of 1-4, nearly all female-type throughout,
song performed in flight by a prob hy indiv with green/yellow throat.
Baltimore Oriole  3     All males- also song- as 1,1,1