[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - George Rd, Jan 25, 2013

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:23:26 -0800 (PST)

George Rd, Caddo, US-LA
Jan 25, 2013 7:45 AM - 9:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.2 mile(s)
Comments:     8 observers, 2 hr, 5 min, 3.2 miles. Birded George Rd with
Rosemary Seidler, Phil and Cathy DiSalvo, Linda Stewart-Knight, Joelle Finley,
Ken Harris and Kay Siebel. 58 deg, cloudy, wind S8 beginning. 63 deg, cloudy,
wind S 8 ending. Best birds on George were Lapland Longspur, Harris's and Fox
Sparrow and a singing Bewick's Wren. I didn't keep the list there, but we later
had another BEWR on 3049 just N of Sentell Rd S entrance.
Later, on the sod farm we had 11 Lark Sparrow at one location on the S-e corner
near the road, 1 Marsh Wren, 4 Lapland Longspur and quite a few Horned Lark.
Sprague's still low with one bird.
We met at Carolyn Phillips house in Belcher, who'd prepared us a lunch of
awesome taco soup and chocolate-covered pecans!! Phil and Cathy, then Kay also
provided some tasty king cake and killer cookies! We had a Sharp-shinned Hawk
in downtown Belcher, also Red-breasted Nuthatch, Brown Creeper and a good no of
Pine Siskin among others. We checked the borrow pits on 71 going back and had
good nos of the usual suspect ducks- especially at the newest northern borrow
pit near the unfinished interstate extension . N Highlands neighborhood very
surprisingly did not give up a White-breasted Nuthatch after numerous stops,
but Pine Siskin were calling at nearly every stop. Thanks for a great day
birding, all!!
55 species

Lesser Scaup  2     oxbow near S entrance of rd.
Pied-billed Grebe  2     "
Double-crested Cormorant  25     " + many single or pr flybys
Anhinga  1     " f
Great Blue Heron  2     "
Great Egret  1     "
Turkey Vulture  6
Northern Harrier  1     f-t mid-way plowed area
Red-tailed Hawk  6
Killdeer  1
Ring-billed Gull  50     single grp commuters S end early.
Mourning Dove  5
Red-bellied Woodpecker  8
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
American Kestrel  4
Eastern Phoebe  1     Low!
Blue Jay  9
American Crow  5
Horned Lark  2     Plowed area mid-way
Carolina Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  1
Brown Creeper  1     BEWR loc. Several later in N Highlands looking for WBNU
House Wren  1
Bewick's Wren  1     New one for this season found by using playback at a
likely spot at George Rd N entrance at 3049. Indiv responded with vigorous and
continuous song- of which some was recorded.
Carolina Wren  8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4     Low!
Eastern Bluebird  11
American Robin  15     most flyby commuters.
Northern Mockingbird  5
European Starling  2
American Pipit  1
Cedar Waxwing  28     8,20
Lapland Longspur  1     rattle heard at large plowed area mid-way on rd
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  14     Low!
Eastern Towhee  2     Campsis-covered hedgerow near levee on N end
Chipping Sparrow  27     1,20,6
Field Sparrow  4
Savannah Sparrow  8     2 loc's- Low!
Fox Sparrow  7     Campsis fencerow near N end.
Song Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  46     Most near entrance, then in fencerow and N
entrance
Harris's Sparrow  4     Single loc at Campsis fencerow near N end. All younger
or fem-type.
White-crowned Sparrow  60
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Northern Cardinal  38
Red-winged Blackbird  3760
Eastern Meadowlark  29
Rusty Blackbird  1
Common Grackle  425
Brown-headed Cowbird  30
House Finch  1
Pine Siskin  2     1,1, flybys- Were at nearly every stop afterward, including
N highland neighborhood on the way back.
American Goldfinch  9     6,2,1

View this checklist online at