[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Elm Grove, Bossier County, LA, US, Aug 9, 2013 ALFL here with a bang!

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

 Hi Y'all, I noted Jay Huner's Alder Fly yesterday and was hoping to find one
or more my self today. It appears they have arrived in very good numbers
already- at least at one location!

Elm Grove, Bossier County, LA, US, Bossier, US-LA
Aug 9, 2013 6:55 AM - 10:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.15 mile(s)
Comments:     1 observer, 3 hrs, 55 mins (0655-1050) 3.15 miles (2.4 driven,
~.75 walked). 76 degrees, clear, calm/ light S beginning, then variable 5-+,
then 88 degrees, clear, trace W ending. Birded big pond of Whitehouse
Plantation, also an area just to the N that I haven't birded since 2008-09.
Willow Flycatcher almost certainly bred there during earlier succession. It was
a good area for spring migration for both WIFL and ALFL back at that time. The
trees and understory have now grown taller. Being in a fairly wet area, most of
the areas are now much more rank with assorted vegetation. There is a grassy
field/ pasture varying from a few yards wide to nearly 100 yards between the N
oxbow and another spotty, seasonally discontinuous pond n of there. Both water
sources are heavily edged with willows, rough-leaf dogwood, box-elder maple,
then scattered E cottonwood and sycamore.  There is much buttonbush and other
semi-aquatic types in the wetter
 areas, then weedy/ grassy understory under drier areas. A few areas are also
choked heavily with Va Creeper, Kudzu and other vines. I began there first this
morning, running into the first good calling groups of vocal migrant Alder
Flycatcher. I made quite a few recordings of song and various calls- which
hopefully will turn out good. The big pond was rather slow in terms of waders
and shorebirds. 5 Least Tern marked the first gathering of adults I've seen
there this fall. A single NOMO for entire morning + few other notes were a
little odd.

In notes below- np = property at N edge birded first, bp or bp/ ox = big pond
or big pond/ oxbow. Other abbreviations are mostly plumages observed, etc.
64 species

Wood Duck  8     2 np, 6 bp- all females and older juveniles that were seen.
Pied-billed Grebe  5     bp- 3 ad, 2j
Double-crested Cormorant  2     bp/ oxbow along river- 1j, 1ad
Anhinga  25     1 np, 24 bp- ~95% f
Great Blue Heron  7     1 np, 6 bp
Great Egret  28     bp/ox
Snowy Egret  25     bp/ox
Little Blue Heron  9     np-1 ad, 1j, bp 7- ~50/50 hy/ ad
Tricolored Heron  7     np 1, bp 6
Cattle Egret  82     most in smallish commuter groups of 1-7- most headed W
Green Heron  12     np 5, bp/ox 7 ~90% j of those seen well.
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1     bp/ox j
White Ibis  63     np 28, bp 35- also ~90% ad
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     np- incessant calls
Common Gallinule  6     3 ad bp, 3 ox
American Coot  7     single grp ad- bp
Killdeer  58     np 5, bp 53
Black-necked Stilt  20     bp
Spotted Sandpiper  3     np 1 ad, bp 2
Solitary Sandpiper  1     bp
Greater Yellowlegs  3     bp, ad.
Least Sandpiper  18     bp, no j observed yet,
Pectoral Sandpiper  1     bp ad
Eurasian Collared-Dove  3     bp
Mourning Dove  171     np 1, bp 170, with groups of 20, 80 and 40 near cattle
island on S end, 30 on N end.
Inca Dove  1     np/ calling
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1     np
Eastern Screech-Owl  1     np
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3     np- as 1,2, all f-t
Belted Kingfisher  2     np 1, bp 1 m
Red-headed Woodpecker  1     bp calls
Red-bellied Woodpecker  9     np 5, bp 4
Downy Woodpecker  2     np, bp

Alder Flycatcher  10     Found in small groups of 1-2 in largish, dense black
willow edging S side of Northern oxbow, then also along pond just  N of there.
Much r-l dogwood also in area- as understory to willows in many areas here.
Giving pip calls early but otherwise silent, then very vocal w/ songs and
various calls after playback. Made recordings. One group of bickering/ trilling
birds only responded to ALFL playback. No response given to WIFL playb, wit
calls or song not heard today. It had warmed up considerably before I got to
the willows on the W side of big pond. There were no takers to brief playback
at selected stops there.

Great Crested Flycatcher  3     np 2,1- willows
Eastern Kingbird  3     np 1, bp 2
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  4     bp- 1,2,1
Loggerhead Shrike  1     bp
Blue Jay  8     np 3,2,2 bp 1
American Crow  1     bp
Fish Crow  1     bp
Purple Martin  2     np- f-t fairly high S early. Oddly none observed at bp-
possibly too early in day
Barn Swallow  4     np 2 high S early, bp 2. No other swallows.
Carolina Chickadee  12     np- as 7!,1,3, bp 1
Carolina Wren  12     np 11, bp 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  7     np 5,1 bp 1- willows
Northern Mockingbird  1     bp LOW!!
Brown Thrasher  1     np
European Starling  7     bp
Common Yellowthroat  1     bp calls
Northern Parula  1     np adm- willows
Yellow Warbler  1     np, hyf, willows
Prairie Warbler  1     np- adf/ hym, willows
Yellow-breasted Chat  1     np, calls and brief "whisper" song
Northern Cardinal  25     np 21, bp 4
Indigo Bunting  7     np 1 song, 1c, bp 2 molting/ female overhead to s/se,
rest singles by call
Dickcissel  1     np f-c
Red-winged Blackbird  48     bp Scatt groups on S end- only 2 males observed.
Eastern Meadowlark  3     bp- singles by song and calls
Common Grackle  13     np 2, bp 11
Brown-headed Cowbird  1     f
Orchard Oriole  1     np- c
Baltimore Oriole  8     np- Scatt 1-3 most fem, in willows
House Finch  2     np- 2 comm to W

View this checklist online at

Good birding,

Terry