[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Cross Lake/Shreveport, Nov 21, 2012

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:43:25 -0800 (PST)

 Hi all,A little behind with e-birding, etc. Here's our list from 11-21

Cross Lake/Shreveport, Caddo, US-LA
Nov 21, 2012 12:50 PM - 5:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
16.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Partial lake survey by boat with Charlie Lyon, Yacht club
grounds, hatchery included. 2 observers, 4 hrs, 35 minutes (did not begin by
boat until 2 p.m.), ~16 miles. 69 degrees, clear/calm/ trace, variable
beginning, no data taken ending. We began the usual survey headed slightly
northeast out from the yacht club, then west cris-crossing the north central
portion of the lake and North toward Ben Robert's Pocket, where we found the
Ash-throated Flycatcher near the north and west dead end of Lakewood Dr. We
spent 30 minutes observing, then possibly photoing the stealthy Dusky-capped at
the last minute, which we had not previously suspected at the time. Leaving
there to the south, then cris-crossing again West toward Fortney Bayou for a
short visit there. Leaving there, we criss-crossed west farther south on the
lake when we found the Pacific Loon approximately mid-way to slightly west
between Bird and Buzzard Islands. We spent a good deal
 of time trying to get worthwhile photos with a small camera before heading
back east for a brief count of the gull roost in the last rays of light before
leaving.
56 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck  1     male hanging with numerous fun Mallard on dock near w end on n
side of lake
Gadwall  9     2,7
Mallard (Domestic type)  125
Canvasback  26     gp of 25, mid-lake, then single f elsewhere
Ring-necked Duck  1     m, mid-lake n
Lesser Scaup  94     1,17,6,70
Bufflehead  137     approx 60% female, 87, 27, 21, 2- most in open area near
yacht club, then mid-lake north
Hooded Merganser  13     1 f W end, then flyby grp mid-lake
Red-breasted Merganser  9     mid-lake, slightly west.
Ruddy Duck  665     Most scattered groups mid-lake. Did not arrive in good
enough light to count near bridge- or go east of there

Pacific Loon  1     located mid-lake, slightly west. The bird appeared to be an
adult, although initial photos may suggest immature due to scalloping visible
on back? Was observed to be smaller than Common with rounder head and smaller
bill. The narrow chin-strap also was visible during observation but did not
appear to show well in the photos. All dark around the eye with no pale
crescents. Dark in crisp solid line separating from whitish front of neck from
back with no pale v's/markings intruding into the dark. We followed the loon
for approximately 45 minutes trying for better photos in the waning light-
Luckily, a few turned out usable!

Common Loon  6     1,1,1,3- midlake, also slightly west of there
Pied-billed Grebe  16     Nearly all scattered singles to two, with one group
of three
Horned Grebe  67     mid-lake, also slightly to west- 10,1,2,4,35,15- very good
nos!
Double-crested Cormorant  6600     Large group of 4500 mid-lake, slightly west
shortly before roost count, 100 in smaller groups east, then 2000 at roost.
American White Pelican  92     single loosely strung group mid-lake, slightly
east.
Great Blue Heron  11     Scattered, aslo as GREG
Great Egret  12
Turkey Vulture  1
Bald Eagle  2     dingy-tailed prob 4 y male near Barron's. Ad fem farther east.
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Coot  1440     extremely low for area covered
Spotted Sandpiper  1     yacht
Bonaparte's Gull  30     Scattered earlier, did not find good representation at
roost.
Franklin's Gull  15     Single group, mid-lake, slightly east.
Ring-billed Gull  2000     mid-lake roost.
Herring Gull  3     first-cycle
Forster's Tern  50     roost grp. Representation detected possibly low
Belted Kingfisher  7     Scatt, mostly mid-lake N
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1     yacht club
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Phoebe  12     good nos.
Ash-throated Flycatcher  1     observed largish size, very pale yellow below in
belly. Stoutish dark bill w/ pink-based mandible. The Dusky-capped was also
probably seen and also the one that was actually photographed. By that time we
hadn't suspected it, were trying for photos at the last few minutes we were
there, then left immediately thereafter.

Blue Jay  1     all corvids low/non-existent this day
Carolina Chickadee  7
Red-breasted Nuthatch  2     Fortney Bayou on west end
Winter Wren  1
Marsh Wren  3     Reeds at mouth of Fortney
Carolina Wren  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  7
Eastern Bluebird  8
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  1
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  4     3, 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  33     Notable movement- 24 at yacht club, then
4,2,3
Chipping Sparrow  1     yacht
Song Sparrow  1     ATFL loc
Swamp Sparrow  3     2,1
White-throated Sparrow  9     2,5,2
Dark-eyed Junco  5     2,3
Northern Cardinal  7     4,2,1
Red-winged Blackbird  156     Lone male, then most females coming to roost in
reeds near Fortney
Pine Siskin  9     ATFL loc
American Goldfinch  41     grp, 35 at ATFL loc, rest scatt 2-5 yacht club and
fly-by
House Sparrow  12     yacht club

View this checklist online at

Good birding