[bsg] Fw: July Least Tern Red River Surveys

  • From: Hubert Hervey <hawkeyehub1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: William.D.Oliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, James Ingold <James.Ingold@xxxxxxxx>, James Remsen <najames@xxxxxxx>, Joyce Hervey <joyce.hervey1@xxxxxxxxx>, melanie driscoll <mdriscoll@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Seymour <mseymour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, casey lott <clott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, bird alert <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pat stinson <pat_stinson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Hubert Hervey <hawkeyehub1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Thu, July 26, 2012 1:32:09 PM
Subject: [bsg] July Least Tern Red River Surveys

Hi All,
I had to restore stats to excel format.  Hopefully this will be something you
can use.
Hubert

Thanks to all who helped make this years survey possible.  The days of tern
colonies in the lakes formed by the Red River Navigation Pools have
disappeared,
with only one colony of 22 birds in Pool 3, Natchitoches Revetment, remaining.
The dynamic area at the inflow of new water into the lakes at Pool 5, above
I-220 are the most promising for tern populations persisting in NW LA.
Arkansas
still has a vibrant population of least terns, but very threatened by the
continued idea that Lock and Dam 6 and 7  has economic, recreational, and water
reservoir storage value, making navigation to Garland City, due east of
Texarkana an idea that won't go away.  Impending conditions will affect this
decision by the USACE in the not-too-distant future:  delisting of  least terns
as endangered, less expense caused by mitigation for least tern habitat loss,
and the move by the Least Tern Restoration Management Team away from monitoring
(locating and counting), and toward managing.  This would be a huge plus, if we
ever see it on the Red River.  We have examples of management of tern habitat
in
Arkansas, Missouri, and Upper Mississippi, where monies have already been made
available.  What we need now is young, vibrant, and concerned people to take
over what has been started.  Please contact me if this idea calls to you.
Hubert Hervey

Name & Mile   Marker 2012 Date Adult Least Terns Nests Eggs Young Notes
LOUISIANA TERNS       For comparison only
       June (south survey)
Cat Isl. MM 244 July 2nd 4 0 0 0 coyotes destroyed 26LT/6N
Dukedale R. MM 242.4 July 2nd 13 1 3 0 from Cat I 6LT/0N
Cash Pt. Lower M 239 July 2nd 5 0 0 0 from Cat I 0
Cattle Isl. MM 237.4 July 2nd 16 0 0 3 ~ 10 days old 25LT/9N
Dukedale R. MM 242.4 July 16th 11 0 0 0 fully attached ditto
Cash Pt. Upper M 241.6 July 16th 20 3 6 0 separated island  0
Cash Pt. Lower M 239 July 16th 10 2 4 2 from Cat I ditto
Marie Hamel M 226 July 16th 3 0 0 0 On buoys  2
Pool 5 MM 202 July 16th 1 0 0 0 On buoys  2
Pool 4 MM 180 July 17th 3 0 0 0 On buoys  6LT MM 190
Natchitoches R. M 147.4 July 18th 22 2 4 5 over 2 wks age 17/4N
TOTAL IN LA 5 days 98 8 17 10 low repro. (.2/pair) N/A,
Survey July   20th no terns     MM 140 to M 82.5
ARKANSAS TERNS 2012 Date Adult Least Terns Nests Eggs Young Notes
      Fulton level Minus 2.0
Little River 1 to e mi. up July 20th 6 0 0 0 fishing or resting
Kuykendal R. MM342 July 20th 16 0 0 4 ~ 2 weeks
Bushy Rev. MM 339 July 20th 6 0 0 0 h
Boyd Rev. MM 326 July 20th 20 0 0 2 2-3 wks
Mays Rev. MM 322.5 July 20th 4 0 0 0
Kenney/Cypress M 321 July 20th 18 0 0 9 fledged and 10 days
Total in ARK  70 0 0 15 better repro (4.3/pair)
Other:  2 BAEA, OSPR, 12 WWDO, FOTE, NECO