[bsg] Field trip: Warbling Vireo in Bossier City quad this morning. 06/21/14- possible field trip tomorrow?

  • From: Rosemary Seidler <rseidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 08:45:46 -0500

BIRD STUDY GROUP
From Terry.

Rosemary
From: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds
[LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Terry Davis [terkchip@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2014 8:28 AM
To: LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LABIRD-L] PILES of Warbling Vireo in Bossier City quad this morning.
06/21/14- possible field trip tomorrow?

Hi all, Some may think I'm downright crazy after seeing the title of this
post but.....read on. In order to get some comparative data for the LSBA
from a few areas with specialty species in Bossier City quad that I have
not hit for years, I decided to start my morning along the bike/ walking
path that runs Southeast along Red River just South of Shreveport-Barksdale
Hwy on Arthur Ray Teague Parkway. My main intention was to check on a
breeding Warbling Vireo population that I haven't surveyed in at least 2
years. Numbers were certainly lower last season in areas that I made brief
point counts. I did not find any during a single run to Cane's Landing last
season. Man was I certainly surprised today! Within 6 tenths of a mile
along the bike path, I observed and heard at least 14 to 17, possibly even
18 birds. There were at least two large groups- one of 4-6 birds (including
2-3 singing males), then another of 7 to 9 birds (3-4 singing males), this
not including other single males heard in song between those stops. Not
only were the birds very vocal but they were also very easy to see, which
factor in itself is somewhat odd with the spp. At one point, there were 7
birds moving about chasing and foraging in a large E Cottonwood. Although
the habitat and bird in question is entirely different, the numbers
reminded me of one years ago with Bell's Vireo in N Caddo Parish, where the
birds seemed almost colonial. I made recordings but light (7 WSW) wind and
adjacent parkway traffic showed noise levels in the red the entire time.
The most WAVI I'd ever previously had at the ART Parkway location is maybe
6-10 birds- which would include 3-5 singing males. Another interesting
sighting was 3 Great-tailed Grackles crossing Red River headed South toward
Marie Hamel Park.

  I cannot go far tomorrow due to time constraints. However, I've decided
to put together an impromptu field trip beginning at this location again
early tomorrow morning. If anyone wants to go, email me or call me at (318)
934-2133. I'm heading out the door right now to check other areas for other
target spp. If any others are found, we will likely visit those areas as
well tomorrow. I encourage those who have been atlasing to continue doing
that instead of going with me. Many might be happy to hear that I will not
be keeping a list tomorrow- so plan on devoting my time to helping others
get on the birds.

looking forward to hearing from those that are interested,

Terry