[bsg] Few Species but Good Birds - Gorum Quad, Feb 9, 2013

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LABIRD-L <labird-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 08:46:51 -0600 (CST)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
The Gorum Quad is west of I-49 in SW Natchitoches Parish. A good bit of land is
in Kistachie National Forest. Yesterday afternoon was cool, relatively calm and
overcast making it a good time to go birding. I was having trouble locating
bird activity to start but stopped at the Gorum Cemetery off Gorum Cemetery
Road immediately west of Gorum on LA 119. I noticed some activity around a
brush pile on the south side of the small, well kept country cemetery. I could
identify cardinals and White-throated Sparrows at a distance. Walked up and
started playing screech owl on my BirdJam. Talk about an immediate response.
The birds that popped up included Red-bellied and Downy woodpeckers, Eastern
Phoebe, Blue Jay, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren,
Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned kinglets, Brown Creeper, Eastern Bluebird,
Orange-crowned, Pine and Yellow-rumped Warblers, White-throated Sparrow, and
Northern Cardinal. Birds were here, there and everywhere. Keeping track of
species was difficult. All of a sudden a warbler popped up on a the brush pile
no more than 15' from me. At first I thought Pine Warbler but it was clear that
it was a BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER. I did a double take. The bird gave me a
good look and reminded me why one should always keep a camera handy and at the
ready!

Later, near the end of my survey, I managed to pick up my first - in the "wild"
- Purple Finches. A couple rode up on horses and I inquired about roadrunners.
They mentioned a location near "Devil's Swamp" on LA 118 that was nearby. I did
not have a chance to go that way but will certainly search that area later. I
had found a roadrunner last summer along LA 119 a bit south of Gorum and
probably 10 miles east of the location that the riders described.

I did not find many robins during my survey. However, I found a flock of
several hundred as I left the area and had encountered many robins along LA 119
and the Longleaf Pine Vista Trail the previous day. They are being attracted to
yaupon berries in the extensive understory of yaupons throughout the area.

Didn't find the White-tailed Kites reported in the region but hope to encounter
them later in the winter.

Jay Huner