[bsg] Elm Grove to Lock and dam #5/ Bossier. 3 Surf Scoter, 2 Dunlin, 4 STFL, BLGR, AMAV, others.

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 15:31:01 -0600

Hi all, Clyde Massey joined me this morning for a trip south of town.
Things were quite slow again for diversity- but we did manage a few really
good ones. Also not mentioned in the lists is that we did walk several
areas that looked really good in search of Leconte's Sparrow at both Elm
Grove and Clark's, but didn't find any. Links to the three
hurriedly-entered lists below. Now time to go try for some owls! (:

To try for Surf Scoter. Take La 71 well south of Elm Grove to the Joe D
Waggoner lock and dam #5 road, which will be on the right side. Turn right
and drive close to a mile before the road curves abruptly left toward the
spillway. Go past the curve and pull over as soon as possible. The Surf
Scoter were associating with 6 Ruddy Duck out on the main channel of the
river- with easy views (earlier) from shore. Good luck to any that try for
them. They could possibly be viewable from the Caddo Parish side n of the
spillway at Bishop's Point rec area. (:

Terry