[bsg] Cotile Lake Area Birds, NW Rapides Parish, LA 11-8-12

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsg <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 19:54:04 -0600 (CST)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
Thought BSG members might be interested birds around our home and on the main
body of Cotile Lake. Nothing earth shattering but the ebird filter flagged our
first of fall Buffleheads. Waterfowl are here about time for the beginning of
the "duck" season. Interesting to have a pair of Red-bellied Nuthatches and a
pair of White-breasted Nuthatches working our feeders this morning. Odd that
the resident Brown-headed Nuthatches didn't put in an appearance. The WBNUs
moved through and bullied the RBNUs which were present from dawn to dusk.

Interestingly, I had one Chipping Sparrow at a feeder this morning,
representing only 3 times this fall that there have been chippers in the yard -
four once and one twice including this morning. I've seen single Dark-eyed
Juncos twice this fall. White-throated Sparrows remain scarce. About the only
thing eating white millet seed seems to be Mourning and Inca doves. Even the
Inca Doves are sporadic at feeders as are House Finches.

Jay Huner

Snow Goose - 1
Gadwall - 28 - on the lake
Lesser Scaup - 550+ - on the lake