[bsg] Caddo/ Shreveport migrants 03/ 25/13

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:16:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all, Among usual suspects, a single individual each of White-eyed Vireo,
Black-and-White Warbler and Black-throated Green Warbler graced the big oaks on
Cumberland just North of Millicent Way in Spring Lake in S Shreveport this
morning, beginning around 9:30 a.m. The Black-throated Green had a very
interesting song that I'd not heard before. The first two notes were trilled
and sounded much in quality like Field Sparrow. The first two times I heard it,
I thought that it was a Field Sparrow giving a "tune-up" song sightly more
distantly- until I heard the buzzy last three notes clearly the third time.
Afterward, the three birds sang on and off for about thirty minutes before
moving on to another part of the neighborhood. The Black-throated Green was
also heard singing it's usual primary song on a few occasions but the odd song
was mostly used. With recent weather patterns, I'm guessing it's more likely
that these birds were lingering from a push a few
 days earlier- as opposed to newly arrived migrants. Other interesting locals
at this spot were a single calling White-breasted Nuthatch and at least 4
singing Brown Thrasher within a four yard/ lot area or so. A Ruby-crowned
Kinglet was also heard giving full song, including 2-3 loud "yu-preet" paired
ending notes, the latter of which is not frequently heard when these departing
migrants are singing. If anyone is lucky enough to make it out there, it might
be an excellent day in the woods if the wind has died down. Otherwise, the
fields may be good for some shorebirds as others farther S have recently been
mentioning.

Good birding,

Terry