[bsg] Re: Caddo/ Bossier par birding today- 04-25-15 Clay-colored Sparrow, Franklin's Gull, some high counts of others.

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Charles Lyon <lyon5516@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 21:17:46 -0500

Also left out- 8 Ring-billed Gull (2 ad, 6 sy) headed n/n-w along the river
at Cane's Landing- getting late! Charlie- as you'd previously mentioned
today, a Cross lake Survey tomorrow afternoon might be good!

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all, Charlie Lyon and I birded Stoner woods this morning, then RRNWR
Headquarters. I birded Cane's Landing in Bossier this evening. Our
individual species counts were low with 73, 72, 67 spp at respective
locations but we had near staggering counts of a few. Haven't added total
spp list for day yet- but around 100 or more. New additions for spring were
Franklin's Gull (45 low north during brief overhead window while in pecan
orchard at HQ, also 2 BWHA moving higher in same direction with current
system), Least Flycatcher (1 Stoner), Gray-cheeked Thrush (as LEFL),
Painted Bunting (4 HQ). Other good birds at Stoner were Bald Eagle and
Peregrine falcon. We had a Clay-colored Sparrow at HQ just south of the
refuge building (recorded singing odd song and photo'd). I had another one
later at Cane's

For year list competition- Charlie is now at 314. Today he added
Franklin's Gull, Mississippi Kite, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Clay-colored
Sparrow and Yellow-breasted Chat.

High counts-

Wood Thrush- 25= Stoner- 22, HQ- 1, Cane's- 2. Very conservative

Swainson's Thrush- 23= Stoner- 16, HQ- 1, Cane's- 6 (not super-duper high-
but early for numbers)

Northern Waterthrush- 45!! Stoner- 28, HQ- 7, Cane's- 10. This number is
extremely conservative

Lincoln's Sparrow- Stoner- 47!! 1, HQ- 8, Cane's- 38!! Conservative count

Chipping Sparrow- 25= Stoner- 19!!= 16 in one group in parking lot-
photo'd 5 or more in several shots HQ- 5, Cane's- 1

Rose-breasted Grosbeak in good numbers today at Stoner, then others later.
Fos Semi Plover-1, 9 Solitary Sandpiper, 6 Spotted ( also 3,1 at Stoner and
HQ), decent movement of Blue-Grosbeak-9, 12 Savannah Sparrow, 3 Sedge Wren
and piles of both Dickcissel and Indigo Bunting at Cane's Landing. I was
hoping for an early Willow Flycatcher on territory there. I've had them
somewhere around this time in the past. Unfortunately, that location has
been all but completely bladed off.

Tired and may be missing some things. Charlie? Still missing
Chestnut-sided Warbler. Missed Mourning again + many others absent. Headed
out again for an am-only trip.

Good birding,

Terry