[bsg] Caddo/ Bossier 08/12-13/15- Alder Flycatcher numbers up as expected.

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 18:33:59 -0500

Hi all, Larry Raymond and I had a fun morning birding Marie Hamel Park off
Clyde Fant Parkway along Red River in Shreveport yesterday- 08/12. We had
our first notable push of Alder Flycatcher (16 birds- mostly 1-2 birds
detected at stops) -pics taken by Larry, then recordings for several,
including photo'd bird. Otherwise, American Robin and European Starling
seemed to show the best numbers. We did have 2 flyby Yellow Warbler but
other migrants, aside from Alder Flycatcher, remain scarce. Roughleaf
dogwood is quite noteworthy here, although the thickets are rather narrow/
spotty in comparison to many other local areas. Our list from Marie Hamel
can be viewed at-

Got up early this morning (08/13) headed south to get at least somewhat out
of the town lights to view the Perseid meteor shower from the south end of
Arthur Ray Teague Parkway before a quick owl, then Alder Flycatcher survey
before work. Fourteen meteorites were seen between 0555-0612, including 4
fairly bright ones!
An Eastern Screech-Owl was calling off in the distance there upon my
arrival. Two to possibly three Great Horned Owl began calling distantly
from a large pecan orchard near La 71 to my east, beginning shortly after I
ended the meteorite watch. Leaving there, I heard another GHOW near
headquarters building nearby, then counted 6 more Eastern Screech-Owl
(spaced 1's, 2 on the east side, then 4 more in the back of the refuge-
some recorded). As leaving, I began counting groups of Alder Flycatcher
(grps 1-4 birds- including loose group of 8) from the west end of the
chocolate trail all the way back to the levee, for a total of 21 birds-
mostly by various calls and song. The winds were calmer than yesterday. I
took advantage of this to make more recordings. Unsurprisingly, the best
numbers were in dense thickets of roughleaf dogwood with loads of ripe
white berries for them to eat. We will certainly also be looking for these
during our Shreveport BSG field trip Saturday, 08/15. We are meeting at
LSUS campus at 0700 in the parking lot on the southeast side of campus,
adjacent the sports field and big radio tower- destination to be announced
at that time. Hope many of you are able to join us!

Good birding, (:

Terry