[bsg] Bodcau Lake quad highlights today- 02/02. Cannot make it to Aloha/ Cloutierville quads tomorrow

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 16:24:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

 As it turns out, neither Charlie nor I will be able to make it to Aloha or
Cloutierville quads tomorrow- just a heads-up for any locals or others that had
thought about working on either of these.............

 I had an enjoyable morning birding with birder and tour leader Michael Lester
of NC. We finally got rained out of Bodcau Lake quad this morning shortly
before noon but put in 5 hrs, 10 min and added 3 spp (WODU, GADW, DCCO) before
that happened. We worked hard for most of the birds that we found walking
through intermittent heavy drizzle in the spillway spillover field and firing
range area for a little over a mile. We did fairly well with Ammo's -9 LESP, 3
HESP. There were decent nos of FISP and a few other sparrows- but oddly only 2
WTSP for the day.......... Highlights of the day was watching a smallish ad and
prob male Bald Eagle moving fairly low W over the spillway, then returning ESE
minutes later with what appeared to be a small nutria in it's talons. The bird
had a fairly heavy load and was making a bee-line over the spillway. I'm
betting there's a nest close by! The quad still needs a little over 3 hours to
finish.

Apologies to those earlier on the incorrect directions regarding the movement
of the aforementioned Bald Eagle- above are correct. I was very tired. Seems a
bit late for young eaglets, anyway? I hope that someone can locate a nest, if
there!

Jay, Please send some of those Lapland Longspurs up this way!!

Have fun and don't get stuck tomorrow!

Terry