[bsg] Big Day in Rapides Parish Peters Out - Re: eBird Report - Rapides County, LA, US, Apr 3, 2014

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsg <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mary Mehaffey <m11mehaffey@xxxxxxx>, janine robin <janinerobin1982@xxxxxxxxx>, Matt Pontiff <mpontiff@xxxxxxxxx>, Tom P <drtomdude@xxxxxxxxx>, Michael Musumeche <mjmusumeche@xxxxxxx>, Stephen Pagans <slp_4-7@xxxxxxx>, Steve Shively <steveshively@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 07:26:01 -0500 (CDT)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
Wednesday, I marked a state bird list with birds I thought I might be able to
find in various venues in Rapides Parish. The list was a bit over 100 birds so
I decided to get up yesterday and make a stab at 100. I was prompted by
generating around 75 birds in two consecutive days earlier in the week and the
lingering presence of good numbers of ducks. Well, here's what I found. Had
some surprises and some misses but would have needed the encouragement and
assistance of a Charlie Lyon, Terry Davis or Hubert Hervey to have gotten to
100+.

I did not do a counted report because my goal was to find birds and move on. I
lost 45 minutes at Elbow Slough WMA because I had to walk to the back to pick
up Solitary Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe and White-crowned Sparrow. Found
Red-cockaded Woodpecker and Bachman's Sparrow near Evangeline Camp in a
location where Brown-headed Nuthatch should have been the first bird located. I
found ONE Carolina Chickadee - when I got home!

- Ducks - several hundred each of Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, and
Gadwall with special reference to the crawfish ponds at Woodworth adjacent to
I-49 and the crawfish ponds at Echo-Cheneyville Road. Found about a 100 Ruddy
Ducks at the dam on Kincaid Reservoir bouncing around in the waves with a flock
of at least 30 Blue-winged Teal. BUT, I could not find a single scaup in
Kincaid Reservoir or near the dam at Cotile Lake.

- Waders - there were at least 100 White-faced Ibis at Echo-Cheneyville Road
and around 30 at Elbow Slough WMA. Had only one flock of White Ibis - around 35
- at Elbow Slough WMA. Had 2 Green Herons and smatterings of Snowy and Cattle
egrets and Little Blue Herons.

- Shorebirds - No great numbers anywhere with dominant bird being Greater
Yellowlegs.

- Neotrops - Nice to relocate a Louisiana Waterthrush at Castor Plunge Bottoms
and find Prothontary Warbler, Northern Parula, and Great Crested Flycatcher.

- Raptors - Broad-winged Hawk FOS but no Red-shouldered or Red-tailed hawks.
Bald Eagle eating a waterbird at Echo-Cheneyville Road and one soaring at dark
at Cotile Lake.

Jay Huner