[Bristol-Birds] yard & lake

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:04:54 -0400

Sunday morning, 16 OCT 2005, at my home in Central Community, Carter Co., TN I
enjoyed viewing an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER while having early coffee on my
porch.  Later I walked through the yard and glimpsed a WINTER WREN in an
overgrown corner.  Another reason to put off mowing and weed-whacking.  :-)

In the afternoon Dianne Draper and I went to Musick's Campground on South
Holston Lake in Sullivan Co., TN.  Bird spp. observed included the following:
GREEN-WINGED TEAL - 4
LESSER SCAUP - 3
COMMON LOON - 1
EARED GREBE - 6
PIED-BILLED GREBE - 6
AMERICAN COOT - 11

This morning, Monday 17 OCT 2005, at Clyde Austin 4-H Center in Greene Co., TN,
I saw a DARK-EYED JUNCO.  I'm so used to seeing them all year round at higher
elevations that it took a moment for it to occur to me that this was the first
one I have seen in the valley this fall.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN