[Bristol-Birds] wind birds cometh -- Sullivan Co.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:25:13 -0400

Paddle Creek Ponds
eastern Sullivan Co., TN

Solitary Sandpiper  -  6
Least Sandpiper - 5
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Green Heron - 1
Great Blue Heron - 1
Mallard - 16 (10 new birds arrived)
Wood Duck - 1

Conditions for shorebirds at Paddle Creek began to establish
themselves just before July 4 when the pump storage system
was activated.  The pump was turned on and
began to draw down the first pond.  Photographs were made
to documented the significant mudflat drawdown
conditions in the upper end of the pond on 8 July 2010.  A
cooler air trough and a colder front to the north of us has
evidently brought the birds in.  The pump was turned off
about 8-9 July.

Middlebrook Lake
Bristol, TN
Sullivan Co.

Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Double-crested Cormorant -3
Green Heron - 1

Three or four Canada Geese walking in the roadway
last Friday had band on their legs.  I did not have time
to get the numbers.  They could not be located today.
The last time we checked such band numbers in
Sullivan Co. they had come from the upper Midwest.

Let's go birding . . . .