[Bristol-Birds] sudden sightings of Bald Eagles in Sullivan Co., TN

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:21:58 -0400

Is the Rob Biller party's adult Bald Eagle Sunday (Mar 25) at Musick's
Campground on South Holston Lake; a 3rd year Bald Eagle seen Monday (Mar 26) at
Musick's by Wallace Coffey; a 3rd year Bald Eagle seen by Glen Eller Monday
(Mar 26) on the river below Patrick Henry Dam;  Roy Knispel party's 3rd year
Bald Eagle Tuesday (Mar 27) at Musick's or Rick Phillips' adult Bald Eagle
Tuesday (Mar 27) perched near Wilcox Drive bridge over the S. Fork Holston
River below Eastman Chemical only a coincidence ?  While it is possible and
easy to believe the adults are from nearby nests, is there another
consideration ?

Are these Bald Eagles from much farther north that left their areas to migrate
last fall and now returning from their wintering areas and headed to their
breeding ground in the extreme northern part of the country and Canada ?

Bald Eagles make a very quick northern passage and may only take two weeks to
return to their nesting area by traveling almost a hundred miles a day with
good flying conditions.

An eagle research biologists tells me these may well be migrants ! Bald Eagles
are migrating over a wide area at this time and close to their peak movement
dates.

Is this the first time we've recognized a spring passage of migrant Bald Eagles
in our area ?  Would it have been just as easy to recognize if we were not
paying particular attention to the timing of several active nest in the region
?