[Bristol-Birds] still more Red-necked Grebes

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:40:14 -0400

Boone Lake, Sullivan Co. portion.

Scott Somershoe and I checked a few vantage points on Boone Lake
to see if the Red-necked Grebe concentrations were still present.
Boy, were they ever, with  180  tallied.  The highest single count yet.

I don't know if more have arrived or if they are gathering from parts of
the lake that are not easily seen.  One flock contained 100 birds.

Today some of the Red-nk. Grebes were calling, one pair did a brief
courtship display, and some were diving & coming up with small fish
(probably shad).

Also saw:
Com. Loon - 1, in breeding plumage
Horned Grebe - 5, a couple in partial breeding plumage
Pied-billed Grebe - about a dozen
Red-breasted Merganser - 2 hens.

Of the 3 sites where we saw the grebes, the only one with public parking
was Davis Marina on the upper Holston arm of the lake (on Buffalo Rd.).
Others can be seen from Sugar Hollow Rd., but there is no parking.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN