[Bristol-Birds] shorebirds,yellowcrown, etc.

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:41:14 -0400

Saturday 22 APR 2006 at Meadowview Marsh in Kingsport, Sullivan Co., TN, Dianne
Draper and I saw 18 Greater Yellowlegs and several other shorebirds which I
thought could be Solitary Sandpipers.  It was at twilight, and the Greater
Yellowlegs were calling.  They were on the golf course which was partly
flooded.  Most of them left when someone walked across the golf course, but
some of them later returned.

Sunday 23 APR 2006, at Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area in Elizabethton,
Carter Co., TN, Dianne Draper and I saw a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron displaying
beside the old nest that was unsuccessful there last year.  There was
apparently no other yellowcrown present, yet the bird displayed several times
over several minutes.  It would tip forward, spreading its wings and plumes.
After a while it left the area.

Monday 24 APR 2006 at Clyde Austin 4-H Center in Greene Co., TN I observed a
Solitary Sandpiper and a Spotted Sandpiper on our canoeing pond.  I also
accidentally flushed a Wild Turkey from its nest.  I counted 13 eggs.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN