[Bristol-Birds] roan high rares & BHVi's

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:51:06 -0400

From: Kevin Caldwell
To: Carolina Birds
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:43 PM
Subject: roan high rares & BHVi's

This Friday I  walked with Len & Esther Pardue from Tollhouse Gap to Carvers
Friday, after hitting the balds @ 6am, all in all about 9 rare or watch list
birds (many of which are locally common up high).

At the gap a few magnolia warbs, alder flycatchers, one hermit thrush, rb
nuthatch,  what I thought was vesper sparrow, one common yellowthroat, and one
bobwhite (also audbile from way away in the forest).  I rarely see vespers but
the several males I saw later appear to be that and I know from Merrill's
recent report nearby they're in the vicinity.   Other birds were junco,
catbird, towhee, robins galore, one raven and a few crows. No goldenwings
however - not sure they're nesting in this area.

From Tollhouse east to Carvers we heard  brown creepers, pine siskin, winter
wren (several), a nice hairy woodpecker, canada warb, chestnut sided, what may
have been a yellow-rump or two, and some very nice views of a magnolia warbler
male about 1/2way down.  The point of the trip was actually monitoring two rare
plants for ATC but hey...you can't ignore all those high-elevation-ers.

BTW - I can't recall who was curious about blue-headeds still singing.  I've
been in the field (more remote areas possibly) the last 8 weeks nearly 3 to 4
days / week and they're on nearly every day's listing even up to this week
though they area quiting down. This is primarily the mountains and mostly
forest interior habitats, the AT, Polk Co, Mitchell / Avery, and the western
counties.  Not in the #'s they were at first though...and they pulled into
Marshal in late Feb but I still heard 3 males on our tract last night.  Oddly -
one just starting singing (audible from my office) this moment...thanks for the
backup pal!

Kevin Caldwell

Marshall NC / Madison Co