[Bristol-Birds] probable Osprey nest S.H. Lake (VA)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:56:39 -0400

Thursday (10/28) I observed a probable Osprey nest on South Holston Lake in
Washington Co. This is the first significant evidence that the species may
begin nesting in Southwest Virginia.
The nest structure is in the top fork of a dead tree, towering above the canopy
of national forest trees along the east shoreline just upstream from the
Tennessee stateline.  The bulk alone suggest that this is most likely an
Osprey.   Eagles usually nest under the canopy, down from the top of the tree.
The nest I observed appears to have been only about half or more complete and
probably not used.  Unless, of course, it is the partial remains from an nest
built two or three years ago.

It is almost identical to the site location of a very large nest several of us
observed earlier this year when we found it just upstream from U.S. 421 bridge
along South Holston Lake in Sullivan Co., TN.

Otherwise,  3 Eared Grebes were in the Painter Creek Embayment along with 3
Pied-billed Grebes.

On islands in the vicinity of Cliff Island not far from Holston Dam,  there
were Ring-billed Gull 30,  Herring Gull 7 and Double-crested Cormorant 2.  The
gull population has been slowly increasing.  Hundreds of Canada Geese are
frequenting the mouth of Spring Creek.

A total of 78 Killdeer were seen in the Painter Creek and Spring Creek
embayments.

Let's go birding....