[Bristol-Birds] Re: more about the Rusty Blackbirds at Paddle Creek

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:08:14 -0400 (EDT)

Wallace,

As you probably recall from posts I've sent over the years, Greene County tends
to be a good spot for Rusty Blackbirds.  During the peak time from November to
March, I can usually find them on any given day in the western part of the
county if I'm willing to put in enough time.  The numbers in which they occur
are normally a few to a few dozen.  My personal high count is 200+, found on
February 29, 2004.

I have often seen them exhibit behavior similar to what you observed on October
27.  In fact, when I'm searching diligently for Rusties, I drive around until I
find a wet pasture, muddy paddock, or slightly flooded woodlot.  I learned a
long time ago that this is where they hang out, and I hardly expect them
anywhere else.  Fortunately, Greene County still offers a lot of this habitat.

I was thrilled to read of the magnificent flock of Rusty Blackbirds that you
found on Monday.  Long may these threatened beauties live.  Thanks for your
post and follow-up.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN